Almuñécar on Costa Del Sol


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia
September 10th 2010
Published: October 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Almuñécar is a small fishing town about an hour bus ride from Granada. It is on the beautiful Mediterrian coast in an area called the Tropical Coast (Costa Tropical) for good reason. The valley we rode our bus through is covered with lush trees and more greenary than anywhere I've seen before in Spain. It felt like we were riding through Costa Rica!

My roommate Lindsay and I decided to take this little weekend get-away at the beginning of September. We were meeting two of our other friends Ashley and Shannon (they go to school with Lindsay in Delaware) and looked forward to a fabulous weekend.

Origionally, Lindsay and I thought we were going to Nerja--another beach town on the coast. We hopped on the bus heading to Nerja. We got off at the first stop because, well frankly, all of the other people on the bus were getting off!

We wandered through the adorable little beach town for an hour or so, asking for directions in Spanish. We knew the name and address of our hotel, but it seemed quite odd that no one could point us in the exact direction of the street. Eventually we found the Hostal de Andalusia. This was the name of the hotel we THOUGHT we booked. Later, as we were leaving (two days later) we realized we were never in Nerja, and were in Almuñécar. There just happened to be the same named hotel in both Nerja and Almuñécar!!

Our one and only night in Almuñécar was great. While Lindsay was napping I wandered out to the see the beach. I just happened to get there right as the sun was setting over the water. It was stunning! Once we showered and prepared for a night out on the town, we found the best restaurant. We ordered the seafood paella (very, very Spanish) and it was to die for!! Definitely the best paella we've had thus far. Plenty of shrimp, crab, muscles, clams, shark, any and every delicious seafood was in this paella.

We then headed down to this main street of beach bars and met up with our friends Ashley and Shannon. The night was great, and ended with all of us climbing to the top of this rock, and laying under and looking up at the stars. A perfect night 😊

The next day Lindsay and I headed to the bus station and learned that we were indeed in Almuñécar rather than Nerja. We learned this only because when buying our bus tickets it said "To: Granada, From: Almuñécar". It was quite a fun adventure though! Still need to take a visit to the REAL Nerja though!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb