Cordoba: An ancient gem


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia
May 14th 2023
Published: May 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

A lot of horse drawn carriagesA lot of horse drawn carriagesA lot of horse drawn carriages

Take tourists around.
After another sleepless night in Granada, I caught the train to Cordoba, where in staying for less than 24 hours. I've already squeezed quite a bit into my stay here at my hotel is centrally located and I hopped on one of the tourist busses to do a tour of the city's sites which you can see in the pictures.

Cordoba is known for leather products, olive plantations, and its incredible mix of Roman, Visigoth, Vandals, Muslim, Spanish (and more) history. The Mezquita is the only Mosque-Cathedral of its kind and speaks to that varied history. I checked out out this morning and it is a unique combination of obviously Muslim and Catholic design.

This city feels different than the previous two, though the Castilian accent still takes something to get used to. Spanish in Mexico and Spanish in Spain are not the exact same, with a lisp on several letters being present here. Cured ham and chorizo are the proteins of choice and their salty flavor pairs well with a beer after touring on a hot day.

I'm staying in the old Jewish Quarter. A quick tip for anyone planning on coming here, the hop on/hop off
The Roman BridgeThe Roman BridgeThe Roman Bridge

You might recognize from game of thrones
bus stops at the rail station. You can get to/ from your hotel and the major sites with one ticket (assuming you are staying in this neighborhood which most likely are).


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

MezquitaMezquita
Mezquita

If you see images where the reds are a vibrant, dark red, they have been manipulated. The color is more terracotta than anything. Still beautiful, definitely not in the Catholic design.


Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb