Viva Espana - Day 2 - Granada to Tarifa (via Gibralter)


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Tarifa
April 29th 2013
Published: June 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Sun is trying to breakthrough today and it’s actually quite mild. Still no need for flip flops just quite yet, much to Greg’s dismay. Breakfast is included in the price of our stay, so I am curious to see what this could possibly consist of. It consists of the following: Value while bread, communal jam and butter and Lidl mini cupcakes. Oh, and a coffee pot too, sheer luxury. We have to wait our turn as it’s only a small area and it’s really busy, so we decide to sit in the foyer until it gets a bit quieter. Whilst we are waiting, our local jake appears and eyes us briefly. He then takes off his hat, and while still looking at us, stakes claim to the remaining free seat by placing his hat onto the side of the chair in case we were in any doubt that it was his and wanders off to get his daily feed. At least we know where we stand. After our substandard but not unusual hostel breakfast, we head out to explore Alhambra castle and take a long way round for a short cut. The place is massive and when we realise we need to pay to get in, we give it a miss. Obviously we try and sneak in the exit by hiding at the back of a German tour group (well they looked German anyway) but we are rumbled by the guard who asks to see our passes, damn! There are quite a few parts of the castle we can get in to for free though, so we haven't completely missed out. After a leisurely stroll around it, we make our way back into the centre of town. I don’t think we've really seen as much of Granada as we should have, but time is against us and the weather isn’t helping. We head back to the car park, wave goodbye to our Spanish amigo, Senior Jake, and get on the road to Tarifa.

Thank goodness for ‘dos cuarenta’, the cheesy Spanish radio station. It keeps us sane as we yet again set out on another long drive. The drive isn't as bad as we thought, and after a few hours we can see the sea (hands up who sang the Example lyrics there?).

We are so close to the very bottom of Spain and where Gibraltar is that it would be wrong to not stop over for a quick peek on our way. We are surprised at the lack of signposts directing us to it, and only come across one when we are practically in it. Seems there may still be some animosity amongst the Spanish that it is British oversees territory. We have to produce our passports to get in which is crazy, and an English 'bobby' give us the Spanish inquisition (haha) before letting us pass. Once inside we can see the British essence of the place, but with a Spanish flavour. It's quite weird actually. We decide to drive up the famous Rock of Gibralter which gets steeper and steeper as we get higher. Eventually we reach a checkpoint where the guard informs us we will need to pay 10 pounds each, plus 2 pounds for the car, to go any further. I ask him how much it would be if we walked, and he tells us 2 pounds each. So for the sake of the car, we need to pay an extra 16 pounds?? No bloody way, so we head back down again.

At the bottom of the rock, we notice a cable car ascending up into the trees at the top of the rock. We check it out and it will cost us 10 pounds each to go back up and down. I know its the same price as going up by car, but at least we get a cool ride in a cable car so we decide to do it. The top is really windy but there are amazing views over Gibraltar and the sea. There are also loads of monkeys running about, just chilling at the side if a 600 foot drop! Here's an interesting fact for you: apparently legend has it that if and when the monkeys leave the rock, Britain will lose its reign over Gibraltar. So there you go. We've seen what we wanted to see so head back 'across the border' and into Spain again to head for Tarifa.



Our hotel is just slightly outside of Tarifa but on a main road so we find it really easily. It's a cute hotel that looks like a mini castle. There are only about 8 rooms and ours is spacious and warm. It feels like we are the only ones staying here it is so quiet. After a quick change we head to Tarifa to have a look around, but we spot a big evil looking cloud descending over Tarifa and sure enough it begins to rain, AGAIN. Ok I know it's not quite summer yet, but give us a break!

We park up in town and go in search of some food for the hungry travellers. There are lots of nice little side streets interspersed with shops and restaurants which really reminds me of Ibiza town but on a smaller scale. It has a nice laid back vibe to the place and I can imagine it being rammed in summer with surfers and hippies. We walk around 3 times while I look at every menu at least twice until Greg loses the plot and tells me to just pick somewhere. There’s no place like the present so we head into the bar in front of us. We’re not looking for anything fancy, just something junk-foody to fill us up so I order a pizza and Greg orders a chicken burger. Well if you could class my pizza as junk food I'd eat it every night- it has the thinnest crustiest base I've ever seen and is topped with loads of grilled vegetables and the tiniest amount of cheese. I top it off with some chilli oil which the waiter warns me is very hot but he doesn't realise he is dealing with a pro. I don't even find it slightly spicy and am actually disappointed it doesn't burn my lips off- I think I have issues.

Greg picks up on the waiters slightly different Spanish accent coupled with the fact there are Italian newspapers on the wall and asks the guy if he is Italian, which he confirms he is and is impressed Greg worked it out. They have a chat in Spanish and the guy seems really nice, having moved to Tarifa a few years ago.

There's no point going to the beach for a look in this weather so we head back to the hotel room. On our tv in the room we have a quick check to see what the weather forecast will be for the next few days as so far it's not been brilliant. As we turn over to the news, they are in Madrid reporting how it is snowing heavily and everywhere else in Spain is being blasted with a cold front which is causing rain and cold spells all over the place. It doesn't really inspire us but we'll just need to suck it up I guess. I really thought I'd be able to pack the jeans and jacket away by now but guess not.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb