Day 6 Lanjaron


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Sierra Nevada
September 18th 2009
Published: October 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

FreedomFreedomFreedom

Dee happy to escape for a day
It’s Friday (yippee) and Kate has graciously decided that since we actually started work last Sunday its about time we had a day off (of course we don’t disagree), so after a slight lie in till 8.00am and more strange dreams we grab a quick breakfast make ourselves some lunch from leftovers and follow the mule track down the mountain (La Casa is situated at about 1000m) to Lanjaron for a break from toil and strife and hopefully some sightseeing.

We had hoped to do some washing in the WOOF washing machine and hang it out to dry before we leave (even though looking at the machine it looks as if the clothes may come out dirtier than they went in), but since its been wet Kate is using this machine as well as her own and so we only manage to set some going before we leave but never mind.

Kate kindly guides us half way down the track and points us on our way and after 30 minutes or so of decent we reach the petrol station at the edge of town. We head up into the old quarter to visit the “market” which turns out to
Its a long way downIts a long way downIts a long way down

It was fun at the top are we there yet?
be disappointing to say the least with just regular jeans, tracksuits and pirate DVD’s. The only highlights being a Spaniard playing his guitar sitting in his car and an English girl who we overhear muttering excitedly to her friend “ooh socks” (bless her). Dispensing with the market we head up town towards the “tourist area” the spa and the tourist information, passing along the way the many public drinking fountains and religious shrines for which Lanjaron is famous, we stop off in the park for lunch and head up towards what remains of the old ruined Moorish castle and then return back into town and frequent what shops remain open after the beginning of siesta.

On the whole Lanjaron itself is fairly disappointing, its pretty enough with little narrow alley ways with their hanging plants, the shrines and the drinking fountains but there is nothing special that would entice you back or make the visit worthwhile if you knew what was here before hand. Maybe we are just jaded by our previous weeks toil or maybe we have been spoilt by our other travels but we or at least I certainly expected more.

The only highlights of our
Local Gun EmplacementLocal Gun EmplacementLocal Gun Emplacement

Used for repelling tourists?
day are a public fitness area containing some whacky workout machines and a heart wrenching encounter with a young, grubby kitten who whilst sprightly enough seemed to be blind in one eye. Incredibly affectionate and friendly we would have loved to have taken him home with us but of course we couldn’t.

Having exhausted the sights Lanjaron has to offer we retrace our steps back up the mountain, hang our washing out to dry and prepare for another evening of communal eating with the two cycle guests, Ian and the thoughts of work again tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

ShrineShrine
Shrine

One of 43
Gorgeus but HeartbreakingGorgeus but Heartbreaking
Gorgeus but Heartbreaking

Our little friend wish we could have brought you home
Work those tricepsWork those triceps
Work those triceps

Cool outdoor fitness area
Pretty but dangerousPretty but dangerous
Pretty but dangerous

Ignoring my warnings Dee is attacked by a prickly fruit
Washing the spines awayWashing the spines away
Washing the spines away

Luckily local fountain comes to the rescue
Show me the way to goShow me the way to go
Show me the way to go

Friendly prickly pear


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb