Elegant Espagna


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
April 30th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.3833, -5.9965

During the city walking tour Mercedes led us down tiny alleyways to show us the traditional shops where the Sevilla women purchase their mantones (shawls), mantillas (headpieces) and flamenco dresses which are widely worn for festivals, special occasions and events. All were very beautiful and in high demand for the Feria de Abril which is the city's two week colourful fiesta.

Today, the first day of the Feria, elegantly dressed families took part in the horse and carriage parades around the Plaza de España. No detail was overlooked with superbly groomed horses, shining carriages, and smartly dressed attendants escorting the entourage. After the formal parades, the real partying starts with eating, drinking, live music and flamenco dancing in private marquees (or casetas) until the early hours of the morning.

The Plaza de España was built for the 1929 Ibero-American exposition and has buildings surrounding a huge half-circle plaza and a large water-filled moat which is crossed by four bridges representing the four ancient kingdoms of Spain. The walls of the are decorated with hand painted tiled alcoves, each representing a different province of Spain.

In the afternoon I explored the beautiful Reales Alcázares de Sevilla, the Royal Palace originally built by
the Moorish Muslim kings. All the rooms, patios and halls vary in architectural style, but all are ornately sculpted and decorated. The extensive gardens are adorned with fountains and pavilions and provide a very serene and calming environment.

The Metropole Parasol, otherwise known as Las Setas (The Mushrooms) is a complete opposite to the old city and its moorish buildings. This controversial building, beset with cost overruns was completed in 2009, and comprises a public plaza, restaurant and panoramic terraces. You either love it, or hate it.. but it does have some good city views.

Met up with Helen & Dave in the evening and we discovered a great rooftop bar with views of La Giralda and after drinks enjoyed a tapas dinner with much vino tinto.

Fun Fact 1: The Plaza de España was used as a filming location for 2002 Star Wars - Attack of the Clones for the exterior shots of the City of Theed on the Planet Naboo.

Fun Fact 2: Las Setas is completely constructed with birch wood imported from Finland and is said to be the largest wooden structure in the world.






Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb