SEVILLE


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
November 28th 2014
Published: November 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

SEVILLE 28,November, 2014 Mostly Fine.



Today we walked to the Bella Artes Art Gallery and Museum.



The building itself was an old convent with 28 huge, sumptuous rooms filled largely with religious art and statues, Andalusian art and works by Picasso. Goya, Murillo, El Greco, Velaquez and their deciples to name a few. The tile work on the walls was exceptional as were the gardens and courtyards. We are constantly overwhelmed by the extent and beauty of the artwork and the architecture!



As it was fine we then wandered the streets which were teeming with people. Fell upon new architecture, exotic but unsure how to describe it or what it was. It was now 1pm and everything closes for the 4 hour afternoon siesta. It only seems that everything just opened- 10 am.



After a rest and contemplation on further travels we again headed out in fine weather to the Parque Marie Lucia, an extensive park adjacent to yesterday's Plaza de Espana. The gardens were extensive with many rose garden displays, unfortunately winter was not their best display, fountains and museums. The parque was built by a Spanish King for his 'sweetheart'. I wonder what the poor of Seville thought? The wealth of the royal Spaniards in the 15/16 centuries must have been overwhelming!



This afternoon we spied Raphael Nadal practicing his tennis antics in the square!!



We are very disgruntled with the food situation. We don't generally eat lunch, or at least not a big lunch. The other day we had the menu del dia, which was revolting, so we swore off it. However as lunch goes until 5 pm, restaurants for dinner don't open until 8-8.30. By then we have eaten our fingers! The menus are similar in all bars and cafes- cheese, meat, fish, eggs. Literally how they are described. The dishes in the displays are no more enticing. As we travel on our stomachs, we are becoming somewhat disenchanted, even though the sights and wine and breakfasts are excellent. Tomorrow Cordoba beckons for the day, may be we will eat well at lunch!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



28th November 2014

Ahhhh I thought you actually saw Nadal!!! Then saw the pic of the statue haha!!

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb