Seville part 2… Seville is ssspecial


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
September 7th 2011
Published: September 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Seville part 2… Seville is ssspecial
1st off, many (not all) of the people in Seville have a lisp. My tour guide for the day had one when only speaking Spanish but not English. The story goes that there was a king that lived in Seville many years ago who had a lisp, so people around him started to adopt one to be fashionable. Years later it stuck and supposedly you can tell who was raised in Seville by hearing this. It sounds like a loony toons episode with Sylvester the cat being dubbed in Spanish. It was funny to hear our guide order “dos cervesas.” (that’s 4 “s” sounds)
My walking tour was great, learned a lot about the city. Flamingo dancing is very popular here and a lot of the stores sell flamingo dresses. I went to a show and was not all too impressed, it was a mixture of Irish dancing with the feet and Hawaiian hula dancing with the hands, and the women dancers just look pissed off. Yeahhhhhhhhhh.

The city itself is beautiful with lots of roman, Jewish, Muslim (moors) and catholic history. The history added to my appreciation of the architecture and to the city as a whole.
On 2 separate occasions I felt like I was in Vegas while in this city. The first time was on my 1 day layover a week ago and then again on my last day in Seville when I went walking to the parkque de maria luisa, specifically the plaza de Espana. It was build for a world’s fair but can double as the front of a Vegas casino on the strip. The plaza de encarnacion was pretty impressive as well and was right near where I stayed.

Off to take the train to Cordoba for either a day trip or for the night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb