In sunny Seville


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
May 11th 2006
Published: May 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

As we had to get up VERY early to catch our flights we were in Seville by 11. The hotel was opposite the Murillo gardens so we took advantage of that and spent plenty of time sitting in gardens under orange trees We had time for a Boccadillo Jamon before exploring Seville. The first place we visited was the very impressive Alcazar palaces. This is a collection of palaces that were built in stages over the last 11 centuries (although the majority of it was finished by the 15th). They are in the Moorish style, so they are filled with really amazing tiling and carving. I would really like some of those tiles! The gardens were also really nice and full of orange trees. After that it was time for a siesta (we had been up since 3:30am!) We then went for a stroll and some tapas for dinner. It was the UEFA cup final on Wednesday night which was Seville versus Middlesborough (being played in Holland) so we went to a bar to watch it. It as a good night for Seville as they won 4-0. We could hear a few people celebrating but it was nothing compared to the celebrations when Vietnam beat Singapore in the SEA games.

Today we had another full day in Seville to explore the rest of the city. We started by going to the cathedral which is massive. After that we went to the bull ring. It is one of the largest in Spain and can house up to 16,000 people. It was a really impressive building. We then decided to get into the Spanish way of life and have a long leisurely lunch. Seville has so many nice squares to sit in and there are literally hundreds of street cafes and restaurants to sit in.

As Seville won the football yesterday they decided to have a parade through the city. No one seemed to know when it was going to start so we went to have a look. At about 6:30 the crowds were starting to gather outside the cathedral. They did not look like they were about to arrive so we wandered off and got some more tapas and yet another cerveza for Tim! We went back around 10pm, the crowds were considerably bigger and louder but still no sign of the players. We went back to the hotel around 11ish and managed to understand (very few people seem to speak English and our Spanish is rather limited) that the parade would pass down the road our hotel was on. It finally arrived around 11:45pm we had such a good view out of the window, we are able to see the players and Tim thought he saw the UEFA cup being waved about.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



15th January 2011
Moorish tiles

http://www.lemosaiste.com
lovely posting of tiles product.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.1mb