La Macarena


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville
May 19th 2010
Published: August 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It might be the most annoying tune of all times, or it might be the catchiest feel-good tune in decades - surely opinions vary. Regardless of which, the name is burned into the memory on all of us who ever tried to sing along with the lyrics or made more or less coordinated and gracious attempts at getting the moves in sync with the rhythm.

La Macarena is neighborhood in Seville. Somewhere in the mid-nineties a couple of local musicians borrowed the name of the area, named their seductive party girl in the song after it (think about it, have you ever heard anyone actually named Macarena?), and an instant hit was born. While the name travelled the world many times over, and probably will for years to come, the original barrio remains picturesque and tranquil.

Our hostel happens to be located in this part of the city. Despite the failure to find a parking spot anywhere even remotely close, turns out to be a very wise choice. A labyrinth of narrow and winding streets in the area all appear to lead to the large square seemingly without name, but certainly not lacking charm and life. Daytime a laidback plaza for students to hang out in the shade in one of the numerous terraces. Nighttime a lively quarter for friends and family to enjoy the warm evening atmosphere, eat well, and drink late.

When in Spain it would be a sin to miss out on eating tapas. Brilliant concept where, if you don’t like one dish, you just move on to the next. We jump from place to place, trying the local specialties or the mainstream portions. Moving quickly from bars with little to offer, lingering in cafes with more character and taste. This is what a holiday in Spain is all about. Quality.

Nowhere do I see any street signs indicating La Macarena. I keep thinking that if there were, they would be prone to fall prey to tourists on the hunt for the ultimate souvenir. Maybe the signs are all gone, maybe there was never a need for any. I guess that the neighborhood has the same effect on people as the song; It sucks you in, and before you know it you’re magnetically hooked. Heeeeey Macarena.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb