Seville was an island


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Seville » Triana
September 28th 2019
Published: September 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We had a bit of a day off today....& planned a short walk across the river to the Expo area. The sooner we get out the better the temperature...overnights of 16 which is perfect & before lunch is still in the early 20's. There is plenty of shade with trees everywhere. We just find it unusual the height of the day's temperature is between 4-7.30 pm.

And so I learned that originally ancient Seville was actually an island given the nature of the Quadalquivir shape & it's silting up. The original core of the city, in the neighbourhood of the present-day street, Cuesta del Rosario, dates to the 8th century BC. Hard also to believe it having been a port 80km inland from the sea.

The stroll across the river took us through the manicured gardens of Parliment, over the Resolana Bridge to find a congestion of families descending on the theme park. I would say the queues were 3hour waits like the Cathedrals....I assume this was just a Saturday event....i'll never know, it is possible it occurs more than this as it was huge & as the metropolitan population is 1.5million. I don't intend to go back to find out!
The Expo area itself (of 1992) looks very abandoned.

Once we were back on our side of the bridge we passed Macarena with a wedding....couldn't get a photo of the Bride & Groom...they were just swamped!! To note the next lot of congregation for another wedding were waiting for this one to finish.

37° at 7.30pm


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



1st October 2019

Seville was an island
So, You were at a wedding on the same day as Mary and I then :) I hope you enjoyed your day as much as we did :) xx

Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb