Town on the edge ... of a really big canyon


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Ronda
August 9th 2010
Published: February 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

bridge from belowbridge from belowbridge from below

Worth almost getting heat stroke
On my little Spanish sojourn I convinced the girls to take a day trip south to Ronda, a pretty town inland from Malaga straddling both sides of the El Tajo Canyon and lording it over the plains below. The sheer drops to the canyon and plains are impressive, even if the scenery across the plains is a little bland. Its the drama of the town's location which really draws you in although if you have a fear of heights I'd avoid it.

Our day was spent driving there, wandering through town stopping to eat and drink as appropriate (beware wasps in summer!). Naturally, I wasn't going to be satisfied unless I walked down into the canyon to check out the 'Arab Bath' ruins (13th/14th C) and the view from above. Should really have invested in a bottle of water (or a hat) given it was a long way down and 30 odd degrees, the walk up became a dart from one bit of shadow to the other - take water with you everywhere in summer - let me share that little lesson with!! Happily they have public taps everywhere and once up the top it was quite simple to stuck my head under one to stop the brain from cooking any further.

Nice little town, lots of history, worth a look.

Jane x





Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Bit of bullBit of bull
Bit of bull

The Bullring is the oldest in Spain


Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 100; dbt: 0.1323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb