Transition


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Ronda
March 6th 2018
Published: March 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Well we have moved on !Our last day in Marrakech was a lovely one . We found a government store next to the Medina that had all manner of Moroccan crafts at SET prices . It turns out the prices in the Medinas everywhere are @ 3times the price we found there. We were both tired of the bargaining hassle , although we were fairly good at it .It was a pleasure to look , touch and be able to ask questions without being pressured to buy . Our only regret was that it was the end of their day and we had to leave . We did go into the Medina then And found lunch , took a tuktuk ride to a museum...which was closed and a horse and buggy ride back to the hotel .

A well rounded day .

And then we headed to the train . There was something wrong with our tickets but the "problem" was fixed in some fashion and the conductor that the train personal handed us off to took good care of us finding us a couchette, and telling us he would try to keep the other 2 beds free so we could have the 2 bottom beds. Things worked out ...but oh it was a long night . Between the heat , the starts and stops , and the noise I slept very little . We arrived in Tangier at 6am as planned but discovered that the ferry to Tarifa was cancelled due to weather ...and had been for 2 days . Intrepid travellers that we are we got a cab to Tangier-med , the port beyond Tangier @45 minutes away , and got a regular ferry to Algeceras ...praying all the way hoping it would turn out and it DID !

Arriving in Spain was easy and it felt good . Unfortunately we missed the train to Ronda by less than half an hour and had to wait 3 hours for the next one but it was okay to do that

The Spanish trains are awesome . New , electric , beautiful big windows and run on schedule . What more can you ask for!

The countryside we passed through was beautiful . Mountainous , green and absolutely drenched in water. It has been a very wet spring here and the water is rushing down the hills and the streams are moving very fast .

We made a decision to splurge on a 4 star hotel here in Ronda . La Poeta which includes the Hemmingway Cafe is a converted mansion and a lovely place. Although it has been raining most of the time we have enjoyed the city both the new , built after the 15oo,s, and the old which dates back to the Romans and the Moors. A very pleasant place wth a stunning gorge dividing the two parts.

That,s all for now . Tomorrow we head to Granada . Morocco was wonderful but Spain feels really good .

Hope all is well . Keep in touch .

Advertisement



7th March 2018

I THINK MOM MUST BE WATCHING OVER YOU. ENJOY
ROGER
8th March 2018

Well Done
Glad to see how resourceful you are. A good thing for a traveller. I had heard how good the Spanish trains are. It is over 50 years since Mike was on one and they waited 2 days for it.

Tot: 0.357s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0858s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb