Thanksgiving with no oven


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Málaga
November 26th 2006
Published: January 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone! Hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving. Our week has been busy with celebrations, but we saved the best for last. Yesterday Sage and I threw a dinner party for 7, finally giving us reason to use the gi-normous dining room table.

I hesitate to refer to our dinner as a celebration of "Turkey Day" because there was no turkey present. (Spanish turkeys must be made of gold or some other precious metal to merit the 30 euro/kilo price.) But...with a few subsitutions here and there, we managed a pretty traditional eat-until-you-might-explode American feast.

Desperate to impress our guests with the typical Thanksgiving foods, Sage and I slaved away making pumpkin tarts (no room for pies in our makeshift oven), green bean casserole (fried the onions by hand), corn and oyster casserole (with clams instead of oysters), mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with brown sugar/butter sauce (instead of the tricolored marshmallows I found), lentils with curry/mint/balsalmic vinegar/etc (thanks Katie S! the vegetarian at the table loved them), stuffing (which we had to explain usually goes in the bird) and roasted chickens (bargain fowl from the rotisserie next door). I felt a bit like the Amish as I pureed the pumpkin by hand, but the 13 hours or so we spent cooking were well worth the amazed faces of our guests.

About the guests...2 were Spanish, 1 was Argentinian, 1 was French, 1 was English and then there was me and Sage. Let's just say that the conversation flowed in many languages. We made everyone share one thing they were thankful for and insisted that they all take doggy-bags full of leftovers home with them. Oh, and Sage thought it was essential for them to see the little turkeys we used to make in grade school by tracing our hands and then drawing the face and feathers.

So we're still digesting the food and trying to restore order to our devastated kitchen, but it's been a good holiday. Take care.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



5th March 2007

hand turkeys, a must have!
I think Thanksgiving is the most interesting holiday to celebrate away from home. It brings back so many memories and you appreciate the difficulty of collecting all the ingredients. Good news though, pink marshmellows on sweet potatoes turn golden in the oven so give it a whirl next time and don't tell your Spanish guests what the topping is until after they taste it. Lots of hugs, Katie and Jordi

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb