Jerez


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Jerez de la Frontera
September 20th 2009
Published: December 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Jerez - September 20



Our trip then headed back into Spain, to a small town called Jerez (pronounced more like Hereth) which is the home for Sherry. We had a large hotel room which was great to spread out. Tapas for dinner, before an orientation walk around the town.

The following day we had a visit to the famous Tio Pepe winery (called Gonzalez Byass) with an informative tour regarding Sherry and Brandy making, as well as the famous signatures on their barrels that they had collected for over 100 years.

There is also a tradition at this winery to look after the local cellar mouse. They leave out each day a glass of wine, and a tray of food, complete with tiny ladder so the mouse can reach it. The family history holds that this is part of bringing good luck to their production.

A hurried walk back to collect our luggage and we were on our way again. I went ahead to photograph the crossing lights near the station. I had seen on BBC news a few days ago that Spain or some parts of it had decided to use some female images on pedestrian crossing signs and lights. Our leader said he had not seen any, but when we had arrived in Jerez one set of lights had an alternating image of a male form and female as it flashed to indicate crossing.

I think that this is an interesting response in Spain, which has the lowest percentage of women on corporate boards in Europe. I will have to come back one day to find the pedestiran crossing sign, and also to see if it has made any difference.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.297s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb