Alhambra Queueing


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
May 25th 2017
Published: May 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Yes you guessed it we did not get our on-line ticket purchase done in time so, faced with the unacceptable prospect of not visiting La Alhambra while in Granada, we toughened up to the reality of a 6:30 start to get in the ticket sales queue at the gate. Aah part of the experience! The advice to grab a taxi for the few minutes drive up the major hill was well placed as you will see shortly.

Presented with two queues, one for cash and the other for credit cards we were able to team up with a couple from Ocean Grove of all places, to split up and cover both queues not knowing which would move faster. The resulting conversations and exchange of trip experiences helped pass the time until ticket sales commenced at 08:00. Turned out there were 4 credit card machines (so why wait until 8am?) so this was the queue to be in and to much relief the desired tickets were finally procured. Several minutes later we heard the announcement that all available tickets for the day were sold. Moments later got talking to another couple who were right be behind me and they missed out
Patio de los LeonesPatio de los LeonesPatio de los Leones

Part of the Sala de los Reyes (Room of the Kings).
so we had actually got the last tickets for the day!! The tickets they ended up with gave them most access but not the Nazarid Palace - a major highlight.

Audio guides were really well done and gave us point by point descriptions of every feature you may want to hear about. Words seem inadequate to describe this amazing place which covers many acres and was originally built by the Muslim rulers in the 12th Century or so. Think of a walled city with every luxury of the day provided including sumptuously laid out gardens and bath house facilities, extravagant places of worship and of course security​ against invaders.

The place did get taken over of course at different times through history with Christian rule resulting in some of the Muslim mosques torn down and new churches built in third place. Many of the hugely elaborate features remain however and the vast numbers of visitors are collectively in awe of the fabulous and intricate details of the decorations throughout the palaces and churches.

As we had a early start we headed home for a "nanna nap", then it was back to the Alhambra for the highlight, the
Ceiling DomeCeiling DomeCeiling Dome

Hall of the Two Sisters.
Nazrid Palace. It was stunning and even more intricate than what we had seen in the morning.

Back home we had a home cooked meal at around 9 pm. We are living more like Spaniards each day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Nazarid PalaceNazarid Palace
Nazarid Palace

One of many decorated arches.
Symmetry is the name of the game. Symmetry is the name of the game.
Symmetry is the name of the game.

Nazarid Palace Patio de Arrayanes. The effect is stunning.
Some of the fine detail.Some of the fine detail.
Some of the fine detail.

This type of fine decoration can be found in all parts of La Alhambra. Most of it dates from the Muslim construction period.
Torre de la Vela Torre de la Vela
Torre de la Vela

In the military district of La Alhambra. Keeping an eye out for invaders.
Gardens and Bell Tower in the Medina.Gardens and Bell Tower in the Medina.
Gardens and Bell Tower in the Medina.

The Medina was a market village area within the La Alhambra precinct.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb