granada, also really sweet


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
February 4th 2008
Published: February 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The old city from alhambraThe old city from alhambraThe old city from alhambra

there are a bunch of caves in this hillside and supposedly many of the houses are partially inside of them. Our guide also said that 2 discotecas are in the caves too; we´ll have to find them next time.
al hambra, the cathedral, la capilla real, tapas. it was great.

al hambra was really cool; all of the history and ornate islamic decoration was amazing. for instance we were in the room where isabel and ferdinand met with columbus before he left in 1492. it was nuts. and the views of the old white-washed neighborhoods were gorgeous. my camera still doesn´t work but i´ll be back in march with the fam. and anyways there is no way a camera is going to capture this place.

on saturday my roomie, aaron, and i went tapa hopping and to the cathedral and capilla real. the cathedral was just cavernous and filled with beautiful art. it was so intense that we just ended up sitting in the pews for a while to take it all in. the capilla is connected to the cathedral but u have to pay a seperate enterance fee to get in. the tombs of ferdinand and isabel were really spooky. i just was staring at the sarcofagui, (no way is that spelled right), thinking, ¨these people are responsible for uniting spain, driving out the moors and jews, and the reason columbus is the most famous explorer ever.
the view near our hotelthe view near our hotelthe view near our hotel

so our hotel was up on a mountain, which was annoying to see the city but the view was gorgeous.
it was eerily calm. the cathedral is vast and full of light and life. but in the capilla everyone whispers and walks slower. it was really interesting but kind of intense. and you can actually walk down some stairs to see the actual coffins in which they´re burried. which certainly did not diminish the creepiness. after a few more tapas we found an open square and threw a frisbee around for a while. there are not many parks around to toss so if there is a plaza that´s not full of ppl, you gotta work with what you can.

so yeah, also it rained for the first time yesterday since i arrived. everyday has been virtually cloudless so the fine mist was just confusing. also a couple of travel updates. today i´m going to sign up to go to morrocco for 6 days over feria break which looks like it´s going to be unreal. i didn´t go skiing in granada but i will be skiing down a sand dune in the sahara which sounds a little cooler. also, i´m booked for a weeklong cruise by greece after school gets out, i just need to get a flight from here
sunsetsunsetsunset

the sunset was gorgeous, too
to there. also we might go to gibraltar for a day this weekend to checkout the rock, the monkies, and the view of africa.

one of my roomie´s friends has an internship with fc sevilla so we´re are trying to get some tickets to see sevilla play barcelona on the tenth. also i want to give a shout out to all of the giants fans and players out there because when i found out that the patriots and bill belichek lost it felt like christmas morning. to quote superbad, it was like the first time i listened to the beatles.

present updates: i have my dad´s birthday present and a present for ella to send but i just have to figure out a way to get some boxes to send the stuff. so i apologize for missing any important dates while i search for packaging materials.

however, i gotsta find some boxes, book some flights, and sign up for morrocco. hasta luego, gentemia


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

la plaza de frisbeela plaza de frisbee
la plaza de frisbee

we found a cool open plaza to take a frisbee break from walking
catedral de granadacatedral de granada
catedral de granada

it was huge and awesome
seriously, hugeseriously, huge
seriously, huge

it was loco, that was me to show the scale
some part of alhambrasome part of alhambra
some part of alhambra

i forgot the names of all of the places, but this was a cool part
some cool ceilingsome cool ceiling
some cool ceiling

the whole place was covered with these cool stalagtite-ish decorations that look sweet
another cool patioanother cool patio
another cool patio

this was in the summer home, i think


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb