Cordoba Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Córdoba
July 10th 2015
Published: July 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The City started in 60-80 B.C. but had it's high tides between 8th and 11 centuries. The Mosque started in 786 but in later times things were added in 1238 by various Kings. When entering the Mosque or now church you arrive in amaze of pillars. You can see where things were altered. It certainly is an amazing church. There are lots of chapels on the side but in the middle is the catholic part what we know as a Christian church. Around this is the Mosque idea with the many pillars and round arches. We nearly spend a day there so much is there to see. We had an English explanation otherwise you have no idea what you are looking at. At the beginning there was a wooden church all the others were build on top of that one. There is a place covered with glass you can see the beginning. Lots of famous people are buried there and the tombs show the ages when they died. A bridge build by the Romans leads from the new to the old town. A pity it was that hot there, at some time 44 degrees, the bridge was it seem always in the full sun, no shade at all. At 10 p.m. when the sun was down it showed still 39 degrees. We found a nice restaurant with free Flamingo shows. Lots of singing and dancing but we had no idea what they were singing, but very interesting. The streets are very small in all those Spanish places, which is really good for you can walk in the shade. We also visited Alcazar in Cordoba, build in 1328 by Alfonso 11th. It was occupied by the Kings in the era. Interesting is that Columbus was received by the than Isabel and Ferdinand coming back from his discovery of the Americas. The gardens that are behind it are amazing. Lots of fountains all working. Beds with flowers irrigated through channelled water ways. Certainly is an amazing place well worth the visit. Next place is Ronda, more to the south, close to Malaga. There we will meet again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.475s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb