Cadiz, Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Cádiz
October 18th 2010
Published: October 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 - Cadiz is Europe’s oldest city, compact and surrounded by sea. Instead of taking a tour we decided to spend our day ashore exploring on foot. We thought we start by taking a short walk to the nearby cathedral before returning to the ship for morning tea.

After taking a wrong turn we ended up walking for 3 hours a little more than we expected especially as Alex was in uncomfortable shoes. Along the way we did find some beautiful botanical gardens and a café to enjoy a coffee and churros, much better than any we had tasted in Australia.

The café was interesting as the tables were in the botanical gardens on one side of the road, and the small café on the other side of the busy main road. The waitress was quick and had enough attitude to cross the road darting between the traffic while balancing trays of food, she certainly did a great job.

While enjoying our coffee, we found ourselves amongst the stylishly dressed guests of a large wedding that spilled out of a nearby church, it was lovely to sit and soak up the atmosphere while watching the world go by.

We finally found the cathedral; we had missed it by one lane way in the morning. We climbed to the top of the tower to see the 360° view of the city, before going below the cathedral to the Roman ruins which have been preserved under glass walkways.

After returning to the ship in the afternoon for a shoe change for Alex, we spent another couple of hours exploring many of the interesting cobbled laneways that wind through the city. A little foot sore we finished our afternoon sitting in the beautiful cathedral square, enjoying tapas, beer and coffee while updating our blog.

Arriving back in time for sail away we found the ship was not going anywhere, missing passengers maybe? Eventually the captain announced the guest lecturer’s plane was running late. Thirty minutes later, David Frost arrived at the dock under police escort, he was greeted with a cheer from the passengers watching his arrival from the decks.

In the evening we shared a pre-booked private box in the Royal Court theatre with our friends, we enjoyed champagne and chocolates while watching the “A slice of Saturday Night” a production by the Queen Elizabeth theatre company and Royal Court Theatre Orchestra.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb