Castles at last!!!


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
September 21st 2005
Published: September 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Our story today starts with taking the ferry from Korcula island to Rijeka. It was a nice overnight trip. A little sloshy at about 4am, but very restful. In Rijeka, it was a little colder than Korcula.

RIJEKA, CROATIA:
We climbed up 300 some steps to the Trsat Castle, where Dana located her body double. (see pics) It was a very nice castle and a surprisingly nice little city. We then went on an adventure to Predjama Castle.

POSTOJNA, SLOVENIA:
So, this is Europe. The Europe with the great public transportation system? No, apparently that is not THIS Europe, but a different one. We took a 1hr train to Postojna. Postojna was a little colder than Rijeka. We were 11km from the Predjama Castle, which didn't seem toooo far, but perhaps we divided the km wrong to get the miles.. It was FAR!! Luckily I was with a VERY resourceful Romanian who picked up EVERY last nut, fruit, berry, and edible piece of ANYTHING she found. We found a couple of plum trees, and never have I had such good plums! We ate at least 30 apiece. We also found some walnuts, apples, and pears. A few dogs barked,
Yay we have arrived!!Yay we have arrived!!Yay we have arrived!!

We walked 11km to get to this!!! We didn't find the plums until 10km into it, but it was all worth it.
but no one said anything. Well..... correction.. no one said anything in ENGLISH (or Romanian 😊) Finally, we arrived at Predjama castle. We were a bit too tired to walk home, and fearing our faces were on every ˝MOST WANTED -- FRUIT THIEFS˝ poster in the county, we decided to look for a ride. We found a ride with a busload of ˝Croatian Excursionists˝ as they call themselves. There was one person on the bus who was UNDER the age of 80, and it so happened that he spoke English!! He asked the driver if we could hop on, and whatever came out of that meant that we got a ride all the way back to Postojna, to the train!!! Yay for white sweater guy. He is from a town in Croatia called Pula. Unfortunately, we did not make it to Pula. Dana really wanted to go. I dunno why.

From Postojna, we went on to Ljublijana. It was colder in Ljublijana than it was in Postojna.

LUBLIJANA, SLOVENIA:
Ljubliana is the capital of Slovenia. It is a beautiful city, and is nicknamed Little Prague. We stayed in a hostel there which was brand new. Everything from the
We found a friend..We found a friend..We found a friend..

After walking 11km TO the castle, we had the bright idea to hitch a ride back. Lucky for us, Dana befriended a nice looking Croatian ˝white sweater guy˝ who spoke English and got us a ride on his ˝excursion bus˝ full of 70-somethings!!
pillowcases to the hangers to the duvets and mattresses and bunkbeds were IKEA! It was nice. We stayed in a 12 person dorm with 10 dudes! Great odds, but everyone was sleeping when we got there and we left first, so we didn't do a bit of socializing. It was our best night of sleep yet.
The next day we left for Lake Bled.

LAKE BLED, SLOVENIA:
This time we took the train into one town and walked to the next. It was a 9 Euro cab, which seemed far too much! It was only 5km, colder than Ljublijana, but worth the effort. Lake Bled is very nice. Mostly we walked, rowed, and ate. Then we took a VERY reasonable 10 Euro cab back to the train station in the other town. Hmm... enough walking for one trip? Perhaps.

Next we went to Zagreb, the capital of Croatia

ZAGREB, CROATIA:
Yes, colder than Lake Bled!! We left Zagreb this morning for Plitvice Lakes. Please consider doing a Google.com image search for Plitvice Lakes park. I do not think our pictures do it justice. And yes, Plitvice is the COLDEST PLACE we have ever been!!

Actually, it
Dana found her body double!Dana found her body double!Dana found her body double!

She's at the Trsat Castle in Rijeka. This is where we arrived on the ferry from Korcula island.
was not all that bad. The problem here is US. We are from the Pacific Northwest. This park is nice, but stick the Columbia River Gorge into the middle of Forest Park, make it 40 degrees Farenheit, add some rain, wear some wet clothes, take a 2 hour bus ride to it, wait an hour for the 2 hour bus ride back, charge me $30, and there you have it! We and some Scottish people at the bus stop decided to return in June.

For now, we are in Zagreb, where it is much warmer than Plitvice Lakes park. We plan to patch blisters, wash sweaty clothes, and continue drinking great wine and eating great food. We will venture around the city tomorrow, see it's castle, and head to Budapest on Thursday night for a hot bath.

((more pics below))




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lake Bled, SloveniaLake Bled, Slovenia
Lake Bled, Slovenia

Bled is about an hour northwest of Ljublijana, the capital of Slovenia. This time we took a train - almost all of the way.
Bled Church - on an island in Lake BledBled Church - on an island in Lake Bled
Bled Church - on an island in Lake Bled

We are not sure how all of the people get to church here. Dana did point out that there is another church in town and maybe the people go to that one... (so practical!!!)
Erin finally really ROWED!Erin finally really ROWED!
Erin finally really ROWED!

Always a paddler, always called a rower... At last a rower. It was really fun.
Dana riding the romantical rowboatDana riding the romantical rowboat
Dana riding the romantical rowboat

Good: Dana got a ride. Bad: Dana got VERY cold. Needed a soup, a coffee, a samwich, a struedel, and a tea to warm up!!!
Bled CastleBled Castle
Bled Castle

The castle is high above the lake. Too high for us today. Had enough climbing yesterday.
Crossing the finish lineCrossing the finish line
Crossing the finish line

The lake has a great 7 lane race course. I think this is Kai I'Kaika's next trip....
Bled ChurchBled Church
Bled Church

It was rather foggy the day we were in Bled, but not rainy or too cold.
Rowing Rowing
Rowing

Drop off Dana, row some more.
InaIna
Ina

Ina is a Samoan friend of mine. I was not aware that he also owned all of the gas stations in Croatia.
Cruise ShipCruise Ship
Cruise Ship

This is our ship to Rijeka from Korcula. It had a few restaurants and lots of seats.
Bread and Cheese on the boatBread and Cheese on the boat
Bread and Cheese on the boat

Dana eating bread and cheese on the ferry ride from Korcula to Rijeka. We were complaining that it was too HOT on the boat.. Notice the attire change - hmm. not complaining any more.
Our room on the cruise shipOur room on the cruise ship
Our room on the cruise ship

Not exactly a Princess Cruise, but it did the trick, and for only $30 each, and they FED US! TWICE!!
Worker guy in DubrovnikWorker guy in Dubrovnik
Worker guy in Dubrovnik

We like his costume. We want to get these costumes for working in the yard.
Train station - RijekaTrain station - Rijeka
Train station - Rijeka

Mom - don't I look like Nim sitting there? We waited and waited. And that's my entire luggage on the right. Just like Nim.
LjublijanaLjublijana
Ljublijana

Not too many pictures taken here due to rain, but it's a great city. It's called Little Prague. Very true.
Plitvice Lakes Park, CroatiaPlitvice Lakes Park, Croatia
Plitvice Lakes Park, Croatia

Beautiful park, baaaaad weather!
Plitvice Lakes Park, CroatiaPlitvice Lakes Park, Croatia
Plitvice Lakes Park, Croatia

Glad they sell fleece scarfs here!
Plitvice Lakes Park, CroatiaPlitvice Lakes Park, Croatia
Plitvice Lakes Park, Croatia

Sorry, bad focus. Just needed to prove that Dana WAS here.


21st September 2005

Cool Blog
I wanted to congratulate Erin on being an auntie again! Your pictures sure are gorgeous - looks like so much fun. Your narration is great too. I particularly liked the Nim photo. Have a great rest of your trip!
21st September 2005

HAHA
FINALLY! An opportunity to say.. HAHA, the weathers beautiful here! But seriously though, you both are still smiling and having fun.Dana, I think the statues pose was a little sexier. (smile) Did the guy in the sweater have on matching shoes?
22nd September 2005

cool blog!
Wow, what a beautiful trip!

Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb