Otocek - Rog Slatina - Murska Sabota


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
June 12th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Farming landscapeFarming landscapeFarming landscape

Typical houses with vines all around

Had a short ride to Otocek, uneventful apart from Diane falling off her bike in Novo Mesto trying to negotiate a cycle path.

Following day rode on to Catez amongst lots of rain showers and spent a few half hours in well appointed bus shelters. Visited a monastery, but didn t do the tour as the early tour was full and the next available was in Slovenian. There was a very muscular monk in the shop, so I think they must have a gym in there. Beautiful farmland scenery, every house has tiny vineyards and corn growing right up to the front door. Climbed a particularly vicious hill only to discover that it was a mistake and returned down the hill. An incredulous chap mowing his grass came out to offer us a glass of wine or schnapps - Richard turned it down without consultation! The campsite at Catez is on a huge water park - a bit like an upmarket Centre Parcs. Also very expensive.

On Thursday moved on to Rogaska Slatina, via a beautiful walled town called Breziče. It has a rather fetching pink tower and the council was in the midst of a flurry of
Every village should have oneEvery village should have oneEvery village should have one

Indeed it does - Fire station always with beautifully painted depiction of firemen's work.
zebra-crossing painting. A few minor navigational glitches led to a few extra miles and a trip up a monster hill which turned into a tarmac-free road worthy of Coed y Brenin. Popped out of the wilderness near a village called Podsreda, which looks like a National Trust preservation village with a brand new picnic table beside a pond waiting just for us. Just as everything was looking perfect, the heavens opened and a 16% uphill materialised. Took a side trip through Croatia on the way to Rogaska Slatina. Very similar to Slovenia, but slightly more unkempt. Once in RS, we found a building that corresponded to the youth hostel address, but on investigation I ended up inside a glass factory. I went to the canteen, the store room and the shop floor and nobody asked what I might be up to! No hostel though. Ended up renting an apartment for the night for 30 Euros. We cooked a slap up meal, watched NCIS and the owner even gave us a bottle of Schnapps that blew your socks off.

Friday 8th June moved on from Roger Slatina to the plains at the East of Slovenia. Crossed a fairly uninspiring area
PodsredaPodsredaPodsreda

Looks like the National Trust owns this village
of more industrial scale agriculture, including big chicken farms (the farms are big, that is), to arrive in a beautiful very old walled town called Ptuj. Afterwards a more pleasant flat area to the town of Murska Sabota. Arrived very late due to a few more navigational glitches, and enforced lurking in bus shelters during showers. The longed for youth hostel looked like another closed job and moved on the a guest house but ther was no room there - or perhaps the woman was less than impressed with two grubby oiks turning up when she had a full restaurant. Anyway, returned to the YH to find a slovenian girl on the phone to the staff arranging for them to come and open up. Staff duly turned up although the school and hostel would not be staffed for the week-end, this was no problem and we were given a back door key! It transpired that the slovenian girl was very keen to help out the two english visitors to her country as she had been to England and found everybody very friendly and helpful. In particular, she had been to Whitehaven of all places and had a thoroughly good time.
Side trip to CroatiaSide trip to CroatiaSide trip to Croatia

Typical farm building in Croatia (well, the 10 miles that we saw).
(Apparently
she meant to go to the Lake District but messed up on the trains!)

Next day did a little day trip to Hungary and back, but only stayed long enough for a beer and a bit to eat and to watch the dozens of car transporters going across the border.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb