Ljubljana, Slovenia


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Ljubljana
September 6th 2006
Published: September 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Al went to catch up with another friend which meant she had catch a train back across to Paris where she´d already been. Claire and I decided that she was too smelly anyway, and continued without her, heading south to Slovenia.
Just quickly, anyone travelling to Europe HAS to visit Slovenia and its capital Ljubljana. It´s awesome.
Claire and I arrived reasonably late and went looking for a quick bite and a beer. This turned into just finding a pub and sinking lots of local brew.
The next day we did the tourist thing and went to all the sites, incluiding (yes i have my guide book with me) St Nicholas´cathedral, Dragon Bridge, Cobblers Bridge, the castle, the three bridges and a heap of other lovely buildings. For night time fun, we had a traditional type Slovenian meal involving a shared meat platter and a main course of stag. Along with that we downed some of the pubs home brewed beer which i´d have to say is my favourite so far. It had a slight apple twang to it.
Our second day in Slovenia was going to be a visit to Bled (a town north of the capital). Due to logistics we couldn´t make it, so had a stroll around insead. This took us through a nice park and into a museum of modern history. Since we had time to kill, we checked it out and were both impressed. Slovenians went through quite alot through the 2 world wars as well as their own fight for independence.
The end of the afternoon saw us trying another different Slovenian brew at the train station before heading to the next leg of my trip.

Advertisement



11th September 2006

Just for the record, it was TWO more beers at the train station. Glad to hear you made the train ok, Rick. I barely made mine (was surprised they hadn't locked the doors - the train was off before I'd even got into the seating compartment...) :-) Last time I let you talk me into a couple of beers before having to catch a mode of transport. By the way, if you see Kozel beer anywhere, give it a bash. It's dark too - not as good as the Slovenian restaurant home brew, but not bad.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb