Snowy hiking in the Tatras


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Presov Region » High Tatras
April 29th 2007
Published: April 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tatra VelkeTatra VelkeTatra Velke

We started at 1017m and hiked up to 2015m.

Snow Hiking
The first day we did a short hike, 3 hours! up to a waterfall which was a bit disapointing but the hike was nice. The tourist info lady didnt warn us that we´d be hiking through snow and dara was not surprisingly a bit chilly in his shorts.

The seccond day we decided to do a long hike (5 hours up and 3 down). We saw 3 pretty waterfalls. Most of the hike was again through snow, the last 2 hours was challanging, Snow was deep and a very steep uphill. When we got to the top everyone was having a beer, so were obliged to reward ourselves with one too!


Early Beers
Most mornings as we´re having our bowl of cereal we´ve seen people sitting in cafes/bars having beers. Today was a new record as saw a chap having a beer at 8:45am, beating yesterdays record of 9:15. Since beers half the price of a coffee or a softdrink and sometimes cheaper than water, can see why!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

WhhheeeeeWhhheeeee
Whhheeeee

Coming down was fun! After slipping too much we found a more fun way to come down using our jackets as a sledge, narrowly missing rocks a few times. It took us 2 hours to get up this section and 20 mins to get down.
TornadoTornado
Tornado

In 2004 a tornado hit the slovak side of the tatras and flattened and uprooted a massive area of trees. Its a pity this has made the scenery around here look a bit desolate.


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb