The Moravian Wine Region


Advertisement
Published: April 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We spent a few days exploring the Moravian Wine Region in Sourthern Czech, mostly by cycling. Our most memorable day was our cycle through some vineyards. We decided to join the locals way of life and had our first pivo (beer) of the day at 11am! We then cycled a couple of hours and then hiked up a hill (one of these hills with about 3 false tops!), When we finaly made it to the top we had our first well deserved wine. We heard some load music on the way down, we followed our ears and ended up in the local village communtiy hall. The guy at the door was giving us two wine glasses and a book, We had no clue what was going on or what was inside the hall, So we paid the 2 pounds entrance and took our chance...

When we entered we discovered our glass entitled us to unlimited tasting of 511 different bottles of local wine As this is predominently a white wine area, we were limited to only 151 bottles of red to try
At the end of the night whenever that was, we think we manged to try about 35
lunch time...lunch time...lunch time...

it turned out to be worth carring that bottle of wine all the way up the hill.
reds.....each!

Midway through the wine tasting a group of bearded men walked into the hall and gave us our first taste of traditional czech folk music. They seemed to refuel themselves by knocking back a glass of wine after each song...and they played a lot of songs!


The next day we moved 10 km down the road to another wine area. Yet again the campsite owner opened up just for us. As soon as we were parked up he came over with 2 cold pints of beer for us, and told us about his son working in London.
Great.. We like these campsites with free beers on arrival!
The day after we detoxed by cycling 30km through lovely forrest, lakes and the castle of Lednice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Some of the folkiesSome of the folkies
Some of the folkies

Honestly, most of them were bearded....
Cycling among the vineyardsCycling among the vineyards
Cycling among the vineyards

After the pivo....before the wine.
Wine cellarWine cellar
Wine cellar

They build the wine cellars here into the mountain. It keeps the wine at a constant temp throught the hot summers and cold winters.
Whats for dinner...Whats for dinner...
Whats for dinner...

Did a bit of fishing at one of the campsites, but only managed to catch this stick! I think i was using the wrong bait!
Terzo the Van...Terzo the Van...
Terzo the Van...

Terzo at one of the deserted campsites in southern Moravia.
Village ChurchVillage Church
Village Church

The view from halfway up the hill on the hike.


Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0948s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb