Choked...


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava
October 31st 2007
Published: November 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

GametimeGametimeGametime

After seeing what Bratislava had to offer, we decided we would stay solely for the Hockey. And thank god we did.
The theme of this blog is choked. Follow closely.

Bratislava was to be our hero. And at first glance it was. Free parking in front of the Hostel. A good, clean hostel. Free internet. Cheap beer (a buck sixty for a half litre). Slovakian girls.

Our first night we head into old town in search of these infamous Slovak clubs. We ran into some girls who said they were headin to Charlies Club. We had been forewarned by another Canadian, Jamie, that Charlies was a locals bar and they do not take too kindly to tourists. This was quickly proven when we had to pay 3 times that of locals - a whoping 12 dollar cover! CHOKED.

Upon entering the club, we checked our sweaters, but were not allowed to put both onto one hanger and save ourselves the 40 cents. CHOKED.

The club was actually pretty killer, with good music, some attractive ladies, and MJ doin his white-gloved thing. Now, I know not if the bouncer was messin with me, but beers were 4 bucks. CHOKED.

As always, I was nearin the end of my clubbin and decided to head home, whereas the Cap stayed
At Club CharliesAt Club CharliesAt Club Charlies

The Cap has the most amazing air-juggling routine I have ever seen. It should be requested...
to do his thing. The next morning I am awoken by a clearly distraught captain. Turns out the bouncers robbed him of his money, his camera, and most importantly his memory card containing one months worth of pictures. CHOKED.

How did the bouncers pull this off? Well, what is the theme? The Cap was... CHOKED.

Now, with a sour taste in our mouths we just couldnt leave town as the hockey game, one of our purposes here, was not until Tuesday, and it was Sunday. The cap spent the next few days filing police reports, tryin to get his pictures back, and checking out camera prices. None of which worked out for us. CHOKED.

The views of the city? Less than terrific. CHOKED.

The weather? Rainy. CHOKED.

Food prices? Not as cheap as advertised. CHOKED.


THE HOCKEY GAME (aka Redemption)

Sweet, sweet, glorious hockey. The only thing that didnt CHOKE this trip was the 4-1 routing by HC Slovan over HK Aquacity. The home team was ridiculously dominant over the visitors in shots, scoring chances, and goals. While the caliber of hockey was obviously weaker than that in the NHL, the scoring
Ol NubeyOl NubeyOl Nubey

Bratislava also calls the Nube its home. All those boring buildings in the back are on account of Communism.
chances were more abundant and made for an amazing game.

A few things the NHL, or Vancouver, could learn from HC Slovan:
- Cheerleaders. Why on earth do we not have cheerleaders? Theyre hot. They dance. They are choreographed. They wear skirts. End of story.
- Fan acknowledgement. After the game, the team came out, skated around the rink, and then did a little chear in front of the club seats. It was wicked, and made me appreciate the team so much more. Imagine Luongo and the Sedins skating around the rink and then bowing in front of the fans. GM Place would go wild!
- Cheapness. For a total of 11 bucks, the Cap and I got 2 seats, 2 hollowed out hot-dogs, and one litre of beer between the two of us. Legend!
- HC Slovan's song was probably written by Rammstein. It was metal and it was loud and it was awesome.


Things did get better in our final two days, when we had our Canadian saffron dealer tour us around the city and get us drunk on a mini-pub crawl. Our final night, we repeated the crawl - to a much lesser extent
UnimpressedUnimpressedUnimpressed

Generally unimpressed with what the Castle views had to offer...
- and ended up at the hostel where the Cap played Receptionist and basically emailed everyone under the sun over a 5 hour period. (I hope he didnt offend you Jahode). I just galloped around drunk and entertained our US neighbours.

Next stop - our European roundabout, Austria! To celebrate the culmination of 2 months of drinking by...getting me drunk for my birthday! Whippppeeeeee!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Cause of meCause of me
Cause of me

This pic only looks wicked because of my photo skills. The Castle was rather lame...relatively...
Across the NubeAcross the Nube
Across the Nube

Shot of Hrad castle across the Nube
HOCKEY!!!HOCKEY!!!
HOCKEY!!!

HC Slovan vs. HK Aquacity...But forget that, what about Slovak Cheerleaders! Give me a H, give me an O, give me a mutha-effin T!!!!
GGGOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!GGGOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!
GGGOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!

Every time I took a pic, HC Slovan would score.
StreamersStreamers
Streamers

The club seats would throw streamers onto the ice every time HC Slovan would score.
Old TownOld Town
Old Town

I told you there were a lot of old towns
B52sB52s
B52s

Looks like Penner needs to spend more time brushing his tongue...
Not Luongo...Not Luongo...
Not Luongo...

This guy loved Hockey and loved us by association. His name? Roberto....
In Robertos leathersIn Robertos leathers
In Robertos leathers

What a comfy jacket...


4th November 2007

Bouncers
Buds what a bummer Kris being ROBBED by bouncers. Talk about low lifes, they take the cake er money, camera and memory card. Wouldn't it be nice if Vic could call in a marker or two and .... How did it go with the Police - I think I know the answer to that? Again just incredible! Dad

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb