All for the Wall


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
October 27th 2007
Published: October 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey! Lookit me!Hey! Lookit me!Hey! Lookit me!

Wow...this is just super!!!!!
So, after a week in the Pest, we decide its time to dip into the birthplace of neckties and....uuummmmm.... well, its a cool country.

The itinerary was basically to hit up Zagreb (the capital) to check the party scene, then head to Split to check the largest still standing Roman fortress in Eastern Europe, then head to the entire purpose of our excursion to Croatia - the UNESCO World Heritage site of Dubrovnik with its famous walled old town.

ZAGREB

Well, there is nothing here, looks like a dead town, so we hit up Tolkiens House pub (primarily to make Kennah jealous, as he is a huge Lord of the Rings nerd (and Orlando Bloom fanclub president)) and then decided to just book it to Dubrovnik, about 6 hours south.


DUBROVNIK

The old town is really quite cool, as it is completely surrounded by this rather massive wall and all of the town is truly quite scenic. Especially when you got studs like the Cap and I garnering its walls. So, we came, took our pictures, pretty much conquered the city, and decided a day later to check out Split (yes thats a name of
Risotto NeruRisotto NeruRisotto Neru

Nothing quite like a plateful of risotto and squid fried in squid ink!
a city, stupid eh?)


SPLIT

We arrived, realized the town was not the best for clubbing, so we ventured through the Old Town (basically every Euro city has an Old Town - thats crazy!!) took some pics, head into the basement of the fortress and played some Goldeneye. It was at this point we realized our best opportunity for the party was Zagreb...aaaahhhh yaya, back to the road.


ZAGREB

After splitting Split (HAHHAHHAHAHA, get it? get it? oh man, I need to write for SNL) we went to Zagreb where they have this wicked bar set up - all surrounding Jarun Lake.

(Aside - what is Vancouvers problem? Like serious, one street with a whole bunch of grungy silly clubs (not the Rox, I love the Rox), whereas a town like Zagreb which is one quarter of the population has a wicked lake surrounded by bars. Shameful.)

So after the Captain led us with his excellent navigational skills (read: we walked for 20 minutes, rather than take the tram) we ended up at the bars. Had some gross Coronas at a rap club and then booked it to a better club, complete
Tolkiens HouseTolkiens HouseTolkiens House

Ohhh, oohhhh, what is this Kennah??? If I recall correctly Penner had the Red Mordor and I the Gandalf...
with large line. So after tampering with some flyers so as to get ourselves in for half price (we wrote GRATUIS on the back, but settled for 50% off) we commenced the drinking. Drinking of Tequila. Being the cheapest drink, the genius minds of the Cap and myself determined to drink only Tequilas until we were smashed. This eventually led us to the funnest drive of our lives...


The next day, after a checkout of 9am and sleeping in Marco and his brand new parking ticket, we decided to head to Bratislava. Now, maybe it was the Tequila, or the lack of sleep, or the fact we had been driving hundreds of kilometres the past few days, but Marco had a real rough day. First the aforementioned parking ticket. Then the rear-ending. Yup, Marco was feelin fiesty and decided to rear-end some poor Croat in a roundabout. Then the 35Euro toll booth ticket for taking the wrong way. Oh, and the 2 missed exits. Then the Hungarian and Guido who decided to pretty much merge into us. Yeah, Marco had his hands full for sure...


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Cathedral within the wallsCathedral within the walls
Cathedral within the walls

Not sure how Dubrovnik saved itself if it had knights like that...
Overlookin the AdriaticOverlookin the Adriatic
Overlookin the Adriatic

I spent many a minute contemplate life, love, and everything from this vantage point
On the wallOn the wall
On the wall

A fort that I was obsessed with outside of Dubrovniks walls
Archers viewArchers view
Archers view

Presumably the archers had this view as they sent their arrows flying at any intruders...unfortunately those intruders were the rest of Yugoslavia, and they had bombs...
I guess the bombs winI guess the bombs win
I guess the bombs win

In 1991 and 1992 some of Dubrovnik was bombed by the rest of the slavs. Screw attacking bases, real villains attack tourist attractions!!
Yet again, my fortYet again, my fort
Yet again, my fort

Me, my fort, and my orange juice
Dr StrangeloveDr Strangelove
Dr Strangelove

The Cap givin the cannon a ride
Postcard shotPostcard shot
Postcard shot

Dubrovnik is actually rather tropical, as the palm tree illustrates
Meh, I dont use it anyway...Meh, I dont use it anyway...
Meh, I dont use it anyway...

How I feel pretty much every morning...
Dubrovnik city, from the wallsDubrovnik city, from the walls
Dubrovnik city, from the walls

The beginning of the wall shots. Enjoy.
Split cathedralSplit cathedral
Split cathedral

Self explanatory...
Basement slide showBasement slide show
Basement slide show

Penner giving me a presentation on the history of Split
Basement jungleBasement jungle
Basement jungle

Split old town basement
Goldeneye 64Goldeneye 64
Goldeneye 64

Temple level, civilian vs Bond. Pistols.


31st October 2007

These pictures are beautiful Steve. You really out did yourself this time.
2nd November 2007

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Can't believe you're twenty-five Only hope you come home alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2nd November 2007

Happy Birthday
While you may be a year older on November 3rd, after reading (and very much enjoying) your blogs (just super pictures by the way) I have aged to the point that I suspect Queen Elizabeth II is now in the process of preparing to send me a birthday card (she does for anyone reaching a 100). Meanwhile having not heard from the Canadian Government indicates to me that you and the Captain have yet to create an International Incident (thanks be to God), which is further verified by the lack of any International wire service news releases of your being declared Persona Non Grata in Europe. Have a super birthday Buds. Love Dad P.S. We are holding your gift in our Bank account pending your need for "Bail". Meanwhile continue to display the American Flag on your backpack.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb