Belgrade


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia » West » Belgrade
July 1st 2009
Published: August 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Belgrade day 4-5 (July 1-2)



A very local train to Belgrade (plastic seats) but comfortable enough for the short journey. Then a half hour local bus to our hotel, who didn’t have our booking and they were full from having the European Youth Games in town. While our leader sorted it out, we went in search of coffee and a toilet (the hotel refused to let us use theirs!). Fortunately, the coffee shop had no problems letting us use their toilet, even before we’d ordered so our faith in Serbian hospitality was restored.

We took taxi’s to the alternate hotel that had been arranged for us. This was in a much better location in the centre of the city, even though it was a rather tired hotel in need of renovation. We were now very late for meeting our local guide, and so the plan changed to have lunch first. The restaurant we went to was quite historic and had the unusual name of “?” which it has held for ???? Due to a dispute with the local bishop who didn’t like the previous name that referred to his church next door. Food was good , some pork stuffed with cheese.

Our local guide was a real character, with a deep voice from her years of smoking, she told us many stories along the way both historic and comic (eg. The caution to be careful crossing the road even on a green light, as there are many who still recall communism fondly and will therefore go straight through the red light). Belgrade is a cross roads town between East and West, North and South. It has constantly been invaded especially during the Turkish and Austro-Hungarian era; having been totally levelled at least 60 times.

We explored the old fortress area and saw the joining of the tow rivers (? And Danube). It had begun to rain, so we needed to shelter a bit. Our guide mentioned the terrible recent history of the Balkan war but just in passing to say it was still to recent to talk too much about that horrible time. Which is understandable but we would have liked to have understood how people in Serbia today felt.

That night we headed out for a river cruise. It was very pretty looking at the sunset over the river and the lights come on at the fortress and the rest of the town. However, the mosquitoes were out in force, the boat really crowded that we thought it could have been an hour shorter.

Having seen much of what there was to see the day before it was going to be a long day before our afternoon departure for Bosnia. Fortunately, the girl from the previous trip was also in Belgrade so I was able to catch up with her for lunch and to fill in a few hours.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

My worst nightmareMy worst nightmare
My worst nightmare

Giant slices of watermelon


4th September 2009

I can soooo relate to your worst nightmare there Sharyn....and you're not talking about the hotel booking being stuffed up or the mozzies on the crowded boat....the giant watermelon slices, ugh!! I agree!! :-) Keri

Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb