Serbia


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia » West » Belgrade
November 2nd 2005
Published: November 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

2 November

We had to make a quick decision in Hungary on the best way of exploring the Balkans. We have learned very quickly that it is not possible to explore East Europe if you are in a big hurry to get somewhere. While we are accustomed to taking trains throughout Western Europe, the very long and stuffy bus ride is the means of getting around without a car in the East. We even got some funny looks in Budapest when we asked about getting down to Bosnia. Maps are so deceiving--it is only a few inches on the map after all!

We opted to go to Belgrade first and those "few inches" on the map became a seven hour bus ride. We actually came to enjoy this experience, however. For the entire ride the bus speakers played Serbian folk and pop music, much of it modernized with a catchy beat.

We arrived in Belgrade around 9.00 pm. Igor's girlfriend, Bibbi, was very helpful and found accomodation for us. (Igor and Marcus met in Oxford as they both worked for WISC). Bibbi then met us at the hotel and joined us for a drink. She told us that we had a great location. She was right! We awoke the next day and could see the Parliament building across the street.

3 November

Toured city centre of Belgrade. We saw the Ethnographic Museum which displayed the traditional costumes, lifestyles, farming methods and housing styles in three major regions of Serbia. Igor...we think we looked at the right region for you. Then we walked around the Kalemegden Citadel (i.e. city castle) which overlooks the Danube. Next we walked through the Military Museum. Few things were in English but we made out the important bits. The final display included a piece of the downed US Airforce Stealth fighter.

We enjoyed dinner in a cozy restaurant in the Bohemian quarter. The servings were generous and we ate plenty. A small gypsy band played on as we finished the meal.

On a much lighter note we saw the film Zorro 2 at the cinema. The film was in English with Serbian subtitiles. Some interesting observations...no previews and no rolling of the credits. Just flick on the lights and leave!

Bibbi met us again in the evening for a drink at a fun bar which is meant to simulate a mine, with low brick ceilings and cramped nooks.

We had a brief but lovely time in Belgrade. So Igor, we have seen your homeland. We do wish to visit it again and see it with you. We felt very welcome and at home there. Also, Bibbi, thank you again for sorting out accomodation for us. It was good to see you again. Best wishes for your job! We hope the hours get a bit less anti-social. We really appreciate the time you spent with us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.03s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb