Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
November 1st 2005
Published: November 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Budapest tired. We took the sleeper train but were awakened no less than four times by passport control as we left Czech Republic, entered and left Slovakia and entered Hungary. Marcus, with an American passport, was stamped each time. Fiona was unhappy because as an European Union member she was simply given a nod or grunt from the immigration officer. EU members are granted more mobility within EU borders.

All Saints Day is a national holiday in Hungary, so the city was very quiet. Still we managed to explore Budapest on a couple trams, passing by the impressive gothic-style Parliament building. We sampled some chicken on skewers from a park kiosk which was seasoned with...paprika, the seasoning much loved by the Magyar people.

We saw Heroes Square, built in 1896 to celebrate the 1000 year anniversary of the Magyar conquest of the Carpathian Basin.

We toured the "Terror House"--the much despised and feared 60 Andrassy Avenue. This building housed the Hungarian Arrow Cross Party (Nazis) and then the Communist secret police until 1956. Today it holds a museum, featuring detailed and disturbing accounts of the purges, forced confessions, and show trials.



Advertisement



5th November 2005

border control
When I crossed Czech Republic into Slovakia on the train, they checked us 3 separate times in the middle of nowhere, one party of guards had machine guns. I would hope it was less severe now.

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb