Exciting Track and Field


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia
August 17th 2013
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 55.75, 37.62

The last three days have been mainly watching the Athletics which is really what we came for. The Games have been well organised and they should with a budget of $160million we were told. Being a VIP is quite an experience as we have our own seating area in the middle of the main straight, two dining rooms we can access and free beer, wine, vodka and soft drink. Most meals have been eaten at the track because of that.

The events themselves have been exciting.Highlights for me in the last three days have been: The Men's High Jump. This was won by Bondarenko from the Ukraine who gambled by passing to 2-41, his PB and then jumped it well. Barshim from Qatar then had to pass to 2-43 to win but failed. Then Bondarenko had 3 tries at a new world record height of 2-46. Amazing. He was close but did not make it.
On Friday the two Australian girls, Kathryn Mitchell and Kim Mickle both made it though the qualifying and Kim threw a new PB over 65 metres. Fingers crossed for them in the final on Sunday.
The women's 200 was won in fine style by Fraser-Pryce completing the 100/200 double and the Aussie 4x400m Relay team tried hard but came 8th in the final.
Saturday night saw the Men's javelin but Stu Farquar did not throw as well and could only manage 10th. However, well done to he and Debbie for making the final. Sally Pearson looked good in the early rounds of the 100m hurdles but she is coming back from injury and was beaten by Rollins from the USA. She still ran a season best in the final and got the silver medal. The men's 200m was all Usain Bolt. He even slowed down over the line and still ran 19.66. What an athlete.

On the social side of things we went to the Oceania Area luncheon on Thursday. This was held in the Turandot Restaurant, an amazing venue. The room was all gilt and marble with fantastic classical statues etc. Food was delicious and Lamine Diack dropped in for the main course. We had a great table with Peter and Penny Deane, Tony Rice, Troy Engle from the USA who had worked in PNG in the early nineties and Bob Snow and Tony Green from PNG. There was much reminiscing and laughter.

Friday was a rest day for us, badly needed but Saturday morning was free so we went on the Metro to Arbat. This is an old part of the city and the main street is a pedestrian mall lined with souvenir shops and restaurants. We had a nice lunch there and spent some money buying presents to bring home. After the Aths on Saturday night we went back there with Tony Rice and had a nightcap in one of the bars. Good fun!! It has been a busy few days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb