Bribes & Kickbacks in Russia


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia
March 1st 2008
Published: March 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

This just amazes me so I thought I would share it with my readers. This just gives you a general idea of the amount of kickbacks/bribes that are going on here in Russia). Although the United States is not perfect and we have our own issues, but be very thankful for the freedoms, safety, luxuries, and positive things we have and should be very proud of!

http://www.vedomosti.ru/newspaper/article.shtml?2008/02/06/141124 Vedomosti_the article

Amounts of Bribes and Kickbacks


FOR WHAT and HOW MUCH
1. Politics
FOR INCLUSION IN A LIST OF PARTY CANDIDATES FOR DUMA $2-5 MILLION
FOR A BILL TO BE FOR CONSIDERATION $250,000

2. Government Monopolies
FOR GRANTING OF A STATE ORDER FOR PROJECT 20%!O(MISSING)F THE PROJECT AMOUNT
FOR PARTICIPATION IN NATIONAL PROJECTS 30-40%!O(MISSING)F THE PROJECT AMOUNT
FOR INCLUSION IN A LIST OF ELIGIBLE BUDGET RECIPIENTS 3%!O(MISSING)F THE PROJECT AMOUNT

3. Large Business
FOR A LICENCE TO BE ISSUED OR NOT TO BE RECALLED, FOR A COMPETITOR’S LICENCE TO BE RECALLED $1-5 MILLION
FOR GRANTING OF A STATE ORDER FOR PROJECT 1/3 OF THE PROJECT AMOUNT

4. Small Business
FOR CONDUCTING A TRANSACTION 1/3 OF THE TRANSACTION AMOUNT
FOR ASSISTANCE OF OFFICIALS 10%!O(MISSING)F GROSS PROFIT

5. Customs
FOR A DUTY TO BE REDUCED 30-50%!O(MISSING)F THE AMOUNT BY WHICH THE DUTY IS REDUCED

6. Tax authorities
FOR A TAX DEBT TO BE WRITTEN OFF $1000 TO 30-50%!O(MISSING)F THE BACK TAX AMOUNT

7. Banking
FOR THE CENTRAL BANK TO START EXAMINING THE DOCUMENTS $.05 MILLION
FOR A TRANSFER OF BUDGETARY FUNDS 5%!O(MISSING)F THE TRANSFER AMOUNT

8. Civil courts and courts of arbitration
FOR WINNING A PROCESS 10%!O(MISSING)F THE PROTECTED AMOUNT

9. Charities
FOR GRANTING OF A DONATION 20-30%!O(MISSING)F THE GRANT

10. Media
TO A TV HOST FOR CRITICAL COMMENTS ON AN OFFICIAL $20,000 PER MONTH

SOURCE: INOPRESSA.RU

P.S. It is elections here in Russia, but I would not expect any surprises to our the new President, but hopefully he will help change some of these things.




Advertisement



3rd March 2008

Bribes
I've heard for years - since Russia tore down the wall - that the mob was running things and that bribes were the rule of thumb. I would never have guessed the extent...I mean, CHARITIES? We all complain about our country, but this is just one small example of how good we've got it.
4th March 2008

You Are So Right
Yes, and we all should be very thankful for the things we have, including our freedom!
21st March 2008

Looks like a bad joke.
From my personal experience ##4, 5, 6, 8 and 9 are just totally wrong. At least I've never heard about that and sure enough never paid anything to anyone. Spend there 5 years running a small business. It was tough but... isn't it anywhere? Nothing special about that in Russia.
21st March 2008

You Could be Right
I did not personally confirm the information or article but the article did come from a reliable source. I have been here two years and I have seen some of these, but not necessary to the level indicated in this article or at least not first hand to these levels. I do know it costs 2-3 times higher than it should to get anything built here and the money is going somewhere. I also know you can ride the train for "free" and if caught simply pay a "maintenance fee" or violate a traffic law and only pay a "maintenance fee." So each of us are different, raised with different values. It does not make one of right and/or wrong, but just different. I am glad you did not experience any of these and do not have anything bad to say about the Russian system. As for me, I feel there is some truth to the article, but at the same time, it is not so bad because I am still here and working. Thank you for your comments - I do appreciate it and also appreciate someone questioning information and not just taking it for granted. Are you still living in Russia? Has this been home all of your life? Again, thank you for your comments/concerns with the posting!
25th March 2008

The Moscow Times
This was published in The Moscow Times, Monday, March 24, 2008 in the article called Red Tape, Corruption Seen Hampering Stores. "Red tape, corruption and the sheer size of Russia are among the main barriers facing retailers and producers of consumer goods in the country, according to the PricewaterhouseCoopers....Corruption, which is everywhere, is in retail as well." This does not mean I do not want to be here or that someone should not look to do business here, it is a huge and growing econmony, but just be aware of the risks.
27th March 2008

Senator Sergey Lisovsky: This country’s current policies boost agricultural imports
Moscow, 11 March./"FC-Novosti" Anna Kozyreva/. Sergey Lisovsky, is the Deputy Chairman of the Federation Council Committee for Agro-Food Polices and Fisheries Industry and in this interview with FC-Novosti he said, "The growth in imports can be explained by several reasons. Firstly, it is the corruption of our officials. Importers pay them for concluded contracts, unlike domestic producers. Secondly, the Finance Ministry finds it more advantageous to collect customs fees than taxes. The point is that customs fees constitute almost 50 percent of the budget’s revenue structure, mainly due to its import component."
29th March 2008

Medvedev Lays Out Anti-Graft Steps
From Friday, March 28, 2008 Moscow Times, "President-elect Dmitry Medvedev ordered anti-corruption steps to protect small businesses Thursday....Arbitrary inspections by officals - from fireman to the polic - are often an excuse to extort bribes from small firms and must halt, Medvedev told a State Council meeting in Tobolsk. 'This proposal might leave some officials from the fire, sanitary services and police...close to a heart attack, because this is what they make money on - both officially and illegally,' Medvedev told the council."

Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb