Walking


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
August 9th 2006
Published: August 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we walked 12 and a half hours. Go Dad!! We started off in the Hermitage which has a beautiful collection of paintings and various other art works. The building in itself is a piece of art with all of the beautiful ceiling, chandeliers (sp), and detailed flooring. I really enjoyed a painting called "Rose in Vase." I really wanted to go back and take a picture of it, but couldn't find it. My favorite was the Renoirs and Monetes. Unbelievable! There were several rooms that were decorated with 1800's furniture and art which were also lovely.

After the Herimitage, Dad wanted to walk just to the end of the bridge. I convinced him to walk to the Peter and Paul Fotress. We wandered inside and stumbled upon a choir. The Russian music was beautiful. After listening to the music for sometime we continue on to the raised walk way that was along the perimeter. It was a beautiful view of the city.

Last night we changed from a pivate room to the dorms and I had the most uncomfortable mattress. I slept no more than 3 hours!

This morning we woke up at 7:45 to go to Tsarkeo Selo (sp). We successfully made it there and arrived before the line was masive. Catherine's Palace in Tsarkeo Selo was stunning. Dad and I split from our group so we could enjoy the rooms of the palace a bit longer. We exited and I realized that we did not see the famous Amber room. I asked around and we were able to go with a private tour. We split from the group once again and found the stumbled upon the Amber room. It was destroyed in WWII and the reconstrution of the room was paid for by the one who destroyed it, the Germans.

Walking around Catherine's Palace and the gardens made me feel like Anna from Tolstoy.

At night we went to the ballet. It was dad's first time and he truely enjoyed it. The performance was a montage of several different ballets. This was a good thing because I think dad would have allen asleep at Romeo and Juliette.

Advertisement



10th August 2006

You go kids
Julie, Thank you so much for sharing. It is so wonderful to read your foot steps each night before I go to bed. I'm glad that you and your dad are enjoying your trip so much, even the mini hiccups of the trip. They add reality and humor to the picture. It's beautiful you both will have this trip to cherish for the rest of your lives. Miss you friend, Cheryl
11th August 2006

Hi from Moscow
Cheryl, Tahnk you for the email. It is always nice to hear from somebody back home. We are having a wonderful time. Julie
12th August 2006

Wonderful!
Sounds like you two are having a great time! Looking forward to seeing all the pictures when you come back!

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb