Peterhoff


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
August 7th 2006
Published: August 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today was a funny day. Most everything is closed on Mondays in St Petersburg, so I planned to go to Pushkin to see Tsarkeo Selo (sp) since it was open. My dad and I took the metro and a small bus which probably should have sat 7, but there were 12 of us. Afer a 30 minute ride, we found the palace. The pathway to the palace was beautiful with an abundance of trees and a walkway covered with greens.

We paid for our tickets and were on our way. It is odd that foreigners pay more for tickets than Russians. If anyone knows why, please send an email?

As we walked onto the grounds we stopped to gaze at the main fountain. It was a grand fountain with statues plated with gold. While I was looking at the fountain my dad mentioned that the palace was closed on Mondays. My guidebook said it was open? At this point I realized that the man behind the counter at the hostel assumed that I meant Peterhoff since it is more popular.

It ended up being a beautiful day of walking around the gardens seeing all of the fountains, flowers, and people. We even took off our shoes and dipped our feet in a fountain. Along our walk there were two small houses open. We went in the house that was situated near the water.

After spending 5 or so hours admiring the gardens we decided to head back. On our journey we took the hydrofoil instead of the tiny bus and metro. It was Dad's first time on a hydrofoil, a boat like vessel that seems to float on the water. I do not get seasick on these boats!!


What a beautiful day!!

Advertisement



8th August 2006

hi
wow!!!! how fun. How are you doing? Yeah..... so why do foreigners need to pay more and not pay the same as the Russians for tickets???? God Bless and take care cousin sonya
9th August 2006

dual ticket prices
I was told -- or read, I can't remember -- that the disparity in ticket prices between Russians and foreigners is the result of a belief that such places are national treasures. As a national treasure, citizens should be able to enjoy them at minimal cost. But because such places still need some sort of income, they charge higher fees for tourists -- a group more likely to be willing and able to pay the fees. Anyway, if you can order tickets without saying anything, you might be able to get the local price. Good luck.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb