THE BALLET


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
August 8th 2009
Published: August 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

THE BALLET

After a quick shower, change of clothes and a snack, it was back on the bus for what was supposed to be a fifteen minute ride to the Musical Comedy Theater to see Swan. Our driver, one of three, took the route with the traffic jams. Moscow was playing St. Petersburg at the soccer stadium and the roads were clogged. Despite going on the sidewalk at points we were late on arrival and the performance had begun.
Surprisingly, they sat us. We had received seat assignments on the bus but now the ushers were placing us in any available. No, not placing, they were dragging and shoving those who were insisting on their seats. These Russian women permitted no nonsense. It was their way of the gulag. During the intermission it was sorted out and I enjoyed my row two seat.
The ballet was lovely, the set and costumes glorious and the orchestra outstanding. The lead dancers were very fine, especially the white swan but the corps was just a little ragged. Strangely, at the end the swan did not die but lived happily ever after with her prince.
The theater was a former palace and was decorated in the rococo style with gilding everywhere.
Finally stumbled into bed at about 11:00 pm., delighted that tomorrow’s tour was at 12:45 and determined to sleep in. And I did.

RUSSIA THROUGH THE EYES OF THE RUSSIAN PEOPLE - Day 2

This tour began again with a bus ride past the depressing apartment buildings and into a typical residential neighborhood. We descended over 100 meters into the deepest subway in the world. The subway was built in 1956 after scientists were able to determine that the Cambrian clay was deep and strong enough to protect the lines. The subway stations are renowned around the world for their décor. We were able to visit four. The first three were modern in concept and decorated in different color mosaics; green, red and light blue. The forth was another long escalator ride down and it was decorated with crystals and inserts depicting the history of Russia. One of the most ornate showed the ship Aurora that played a large role in the Revolution.
Next we strolled a pedestrian street where Russians visit the Café’s and McDonalds! Blintzes are so popular that there are blintz restaurant chains similar to McDs.

Our next stop was a market place where typical Russians shop. It was a combination of open air and supermarket and clothing stores. The fruit and vegetables looked very fine but the meat was dreadful. Won’t try to describe it. Then we were off to a gift shop where we wasted time and finally on to a vodka tasting. This vodka was unlike anything you have ever tasted. Unlike the type we are used to, this was more like home brew or moonshine. It was flavored with what ever was handy. The first was cranberry. It was pretty dreadful stuff. The second was horseradish. Won’t try to explain. The last was anise flavored which was my choice if forced to make one. Did I mention that these concoctions were 40% alcohol? We stumbled out and onto the bus, returned to the ship and said good by to Russia. I found the city engaging and beautiful, the people well fed and stylishly dressed, some of the elderly wore babushkas and looked like the stereotypical pictures. They were working hard and trying to make sense of the new capitalism. The wages are still small by western standards and prices are high. Will follow how things progress.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.459s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.2122s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb