Victory Day Celebration in Russia in 2020


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
May 23rd 2020
Published: May 23rd 2020
Edit Blog Post

May 9 is a historical day celebrated by the Russians and people from the former Soviet Union republics. This year is special as it's the 75th anniversary of the end of the Great Patriotic War.

The major problem we all faced this year is the pandemic that ruined many plans and affected many lives. Despite the greatness of the date, Russian government made a decision of postponing the traditional parades that usually take place on the largest squares or streets of Russian cities. However, the tradition of having fireworks was still kept and people managed to enjoy the colorful night sky on May 9.

The Great Patriotic War (June 22, 1941-May 9, 1945) caused much sorrow – millions of soldiers and civilians died. In total, the Soviet Union lost 25,6 million people. No less than 13,7 million casualties were among civilians.

On the Victory Day, wreaths are laid to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier next to the Eternal flame that is kept in the memory of the fallen heros. And since 2014, there is a tradition to organize the Immortal regiment when people walk with the portraits of their ancestors that took part in the Great Patriotic War. This year the regiment took place online and people could upload the photos of their ancestors to a special website.

In fact, many sights of Russia are related to the times of the war. If you are interested, go check a specially prepared video that speaks about and show the Great Patriotic War monuments in Saint Petersburg.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb