The Gypsy Train to Transylvania


Advertisement
Europe » Romania
July 10th 2016
Published: July 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

This month we celebrate the 5 year anniversary since we began our non-stop nomadic gypsy lifestyle. 4 continents, 29 countries, 142 beds and countless ornate churches later we are still in one piece and, despite a few newly acquired aches and pains due to old age and cheap Ikea beds, ready for more. We found ourselves in Lviv, Ukraine without a plan of where to go next. We thought about seeing... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Bridge to RomaniaBridge to Romania
Bridge to Romania

Solotvyno, Ukraine
Rainy Brasov NightsRainy Brasov Nights
Rainy Brasov Nights

Piata Sfatului
Black ChurchBlack Church
Black Church

Brasov, Romania
BrasovBrasov
Brasov

"Behind the Walls"
Peles CastlePeles Castle
Peles Castle

Sinaia, Romania
Rasnov CastleRasnov Castle
Rasnov Castle

Romanian Countryside



10th July 2016

Your world is your canvas
Congratulations on 5 years of adventures on the nomadic gypsy road, Nanci. Congratulations on yet another blog that highlights your photographer's eye. Your sense of composition of the shots are always a highlight. I checked out the program you use after you shared it with me and while a professional photographer friend also uses it, it's a tad technical for me. Yet how you make your pics pop out of the page is sensational. Always enjoy your blogs. I've put four of the shots in the Streetscapes thread in the Photography Forum.
11th July 2016

Our canvas...
Thanks for the nice compliments, Dave! Lightroom has a little learning curve, but there are lots of easy to follow videos on Youtube to help guide the way. We rarely spend more than a minute or two on a photo now, so it's not too time consuming. It's been a long five years. Often we reflect on things from one or two months ago and they seem like a literal lifetime ago. Travel does strange things to your sense of time and space. Thanks for reading and all the nice compliments, Dave!
11th July 2016

Romania
The Gypsy train sounds great. The architecture you've captured is amazing. Love the cafes
11th July 2016

Trains...
Maybe we are getting used to riding on trains more. They aren't the most rapid means of transport in this part of the world, but you can't beat the price and it is an opportunity to interact in a way that not everyone gets a chance to do. Summertime in Eastern Europe is definitely café season. Literally everyone seems to enjoy days sitting and strolling the cobbled streets. We have enjoyed our time for sure. Thanks for writing!
11th July 2016
Peles Castle

Romania from another person's perspective
We went to Romania last summer and enjoyed it a lot. It was fun to read about it from your perspective. Where you went och what you thought about it. /Ake
11th July 2016
Peles Castle

Perspectives....
Romania was surprisingly very nice. Not at all what we expected. I don't think many Americans think of visiting Eastern Europe very often, but we have really enjoyed each country we have seen. Thanks for writing, Ake!
11th July 2016
Cluj-Napoca Market

Fabulous
You have a great camera. And you have a great eye.
11th July 2016
Rasnov Castle

Being open to the open road!
I love your decisions-making on this last stop--let's see where The Gypsy Train takes us! And what fine adventures, though my favorite was your train ride along the river in the Carpathians with the little villages, unique houses and abundant gardens and the Roma people hopping on and off the trains. It felt like stepping into the past. Great sunsets and I love your arched-framed views.
12th July 2016
Rasnov Castle

The Open Road....
I think we've run out of ideas for places to go, so we sort of have to rely on emotion rather than much of a plan. We would have loved to visit the Maramures area near the border of Ukraine/Romania. Maybe one of the last untouched places in Europe. The arched frames are mostly to cover up that I'm shooting mostly in mid-day instead of golden hour early in the morning or just before sunset as I would prefer. Thank you for reading and commenting! We really appreciate it, Tara!
23rd August 2018
Brasov

View
Just realised I'd missed this blog of yours... It's such a gorgeous part of the world. Was this taken from the White Tower?
23rd August 2018
Brasov

The old days...
It took a search of Google Maps to answer this one. :) It seems like a long time ago now. It is from the White Tower. I remembered taking the picture but didn't remember the name. We lived in a tiny apartment right next to the Black Church and walked up here several times during our visit.

Tot: 0.379s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 28; qc: 107; dbt: 0.2607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb