Romania - A Big Storm


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania
September 18th 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

RomaniaRomaniaRomania

Before the thunderstorm...

18 September - Day 5


We were off before 9 am having breakfasted at the restaurant. A good run down to the Romanian border where the fun started. We changed our money and fulfilled the border procedures without too much hassle but we were somewhat taken aback by the lines and lines of lorries waiting to cross the border - in both directions. From here on the road was single carriage way and choked with lorries - a symptom we found throughout Romania. To keep three vehicles together as a driving unit was quite difficult but we are now getting quite good at it, with the help of headlights, walkie-talkies and alert co-drivers. We encountered several log-jams of traffic, several kilometers in both directions when it could be about an hour before we were through and clear, only to meet as much, traffic further on, and even more log-jams. We finally turned off the main road down a little used track, across some bumpy ground, behind a large rough hedge and out of sight of anyone, where we set up camp for the night. Camilla’s black-eyed bean stew in the remains of the previous night’s stew was great success. But, as we came to the end of our evening meal we were aware of thunder and lightning in the dark, western sky. We thought we had better get ready for bed in case it rained. It was amazing how fast the storm approached us! We rushed through clearing the dishes and washing them up but the storm beat us. It arrived with a fury to be seen to be believed. We scrambled into our tents, more wet than dry and then all hell let lose. Lightning flashes made the surround look like daylight, thunder claps deafening overhead, and wind and rain beyond much or any of our previous experiences. Ian and Chris’s tent was unfortunately facing the wrong way and the rain poured in. Gail and Jeremy’s tent was as wet inside as out, but Camilla and I were fortunate to keep relatively dry. The storm went on for at least three hours, thereafter there was rain until dawn when we struggled form our beds to clear up the mess! Total Mileage 1207)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.348s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb