Pictures from March 23 and on


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Muntenia » Bucharest
March 30th 2009
Published: March 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Inside the Opera Pt. 1Inside the Opera Pt. 1Inside the Opera Pt. 1

Went to see an opera at the Opera Nationala (Romanian National Opera) for the first time. It is a contemporary building in a kinda of lime green tint. I don't love the outside but the inside is lovely.
I finally arrived in Bucharest after a week of wandering the mother continent. It was a relief to arrive back. The best part was they finally fixed the streets coming back from the airport. I was expecting to be on the airport bus for hours but it only took 20 minutes to get to Piata Victoriei. It was the best surprise ever!

I spent the week out and about, immersed in cultural life and parks. There are a few changes since January, signs of progress. Unfortunately, none of it is happening around Lipscani, which still looks pretty much like the picture I took. There are the same old excuses, the recession blah blah blah. But its been like that for two years, so that's what it is. All I will say is the wooden platforms are getting shakier and shakier.

The cakes are still subpar. The pastries are fine. The authentic cafes are slowly dwindling and being replaced by faux-Starbucks...or real Starbucks. There are some still sweet parts. Like my pastry place in the Piata Unirii Metro station and Carturesti, my favorite bookstore for Romanian and English books. The Swiss rolls are still oooh-so-unhealthy but delicious.

The weather
Inside the Opera, Pt. 2Inside the Opera, Pt. 2Inside the Opera, Pt. 2

A detail of the stonework of the wall and ceiling in the hall of the Opera house.
has been very plesant and whispering of Spring and sunshine. And maybe its me, I don't think so, though, but the Romanian populace is getting nicer, bit by bit. I have continued to use my mental trick of smiling sweetly whenever they get cranky, which is working out pretty well. I would recommend it. Like, at a store, if you ask a very ordinary question, like "Excuse me, where is the ham?" and they get all sassy, with the pinched why-are-you-asking-such-a-dumbass-question expression and they tell you finally, you should very cheerfully smile and thank them so graciously they get sheepish and end up smiling, too. Hah, that will teach you to be sour!

Thus, it is an exciting time to be here in Bucha-ohhh, excuse me, Bucuresti.

Until next time, everyone. Pa!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Inside the Opera, Pt. 3Inside the Opera, Pt. 3
Inside the Opera, Pt. 3

The chandelier in the performance hall.
Inside the Opera, Pt. 4Inside the Opera, Pt. 4
Inside the Opera, Pt. 4

The private balconies found on either side of the stage. I think they are reserved for heads of state and that sort of thing. And the light crew.
Universitate Metro StationUniversitate Metro Station
Universitate Metro Station

The Universitate Metro station is getting a new makeover, all shiny marble and glass. There has been a lot of progress since I saw it. None of the stores are open yet, but it looks pretty good, I must say.
Iron JawIron Jaw
Iron Jaw

There was a pretty cool sculpture set up in the middle of Universitate Metro. It had teeth made out of irons and full of car wires and trashbags...everyone was gathered around to look at it and I was like, shoo, shoo, so I could take a picture without them.
My Favorite Bookstore Ever!!!My Favorite Bookstore Ever!!!
My Favorite Bookstore Ever!!!

This is the cute ark in front of Carturesti, which is on Blvd. Gen. Magheru. Inside, you can find so many wonderful things and they are organized in this way that is organically Romanian yet accessible. It is a converted mansion and the rooms are comfortable and classy. A must visit.
Piata Alexandru LahovariPiata Alexandru Lahovari
Piata Alexandru Lahovari

A picture from one of the ubiquitous Italian restaurants popping all over Bucuresti, that overlooks the Piata. Because I came all the way here for Italian food (sarcastic). Anyway, Alexandru Lahovari is a turn of the century politician who was an external minister of some notability, though what he did???
Spring in the parcSpring in the parc
Spring in the parc

Parcul Tineretului was full of spring blossoming.
Caru cu BereCaru cu Bere
Caru cu Bere

The famous beer hall I talked about earlier. Unlike the first round, I am going to take you inside.
Caru cu Bere, Pt.1Caru cu Bere, Pt.1
Caru cu Bere, Pt.1

The chandelier in the main hall.
Caru cu Bere, Pt. 2Caru cu Bere, Pt. 2
Caru cu Bere, Pt. 2

The view from the inside out. The interior is very well preserved and beautiful. Its like a beer cathedral. It is run by a restaurant company that has several other different restaurants in Bucuresti.
Caru cu Bere, Pt. 3Caru cu Bere, Pt. 3
Caru cu Bere, Pt. 3

The actual Bere in the title. I cannot honestly recommend the house brew, but the food is pretty good. The atmosphere is very chilled back, though you should make a reservation if you plan to be there more than 1 hour.
Back outsideBack outside
Back outside

Leaving Caru cu Bere one afternoon.
Strada CovaciStrada Covaci
Strada Covaci

A lovely house with a smathering of graffiti.
Mind the Pit...Mind the Pit...
Mind the Pit...

You can see the newly paved Halelor. The job is half-unfinished, as you can't see up the street, and there are these trecherous pits, some full of trash, some with rushing water, covered by some flimsy plywood. So...mind your step.
Progress?Progress?
Progress?

Do we need a newly-minted O'Hara Irish pub? That's debateable. What is not, is the clear sign of progress that's coming to the old district. Follow the next picture please.
Down the street...Down the street...
Down the street...

Down the street from the Irish pub, is this building. Until someone takes over the property, it is destined to remain dilapidated, graffitied and neglected. So, yes, the Irish pub is progress in some good direction. Plus, where to go for St. Patricks???
Inside looking OutInside looking Out
Inside looking Out

Stopped at one of the many cafes springing up in the old district. It was brand new and the people working there were super friendly and multi-lingual. Across the street is a work in progress. I think this was still on Halelor.
DetailDetail
Detail

Walking through the old town, looked up to see this balconey detail. There is still a lot of work to be done in the old district. I think I took this on Halelor, as well.
Down Strada BacaniDown Strada Bacani
Down Strada Bacani

At the beginning of the street, I was like, wow, what's that down there there. Alas, still much work to do on Strada Lipscani.


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb