B2 Travel Blog 4


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
November 22nd 2013
Published: November 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

What are some beliefs that Portuguese beliefs in pregnancy.

http://www.hawcc.hawaii.edu/nursing/RNPortuguese03.html

http://www.cafemom.com/group/30079/forums/read/13019790/Fun_Facts_Cultural_Beliefs_Around_The_World_about_Pregnancy

They believe that if you were going to have a girl, then the mother's stomach would be pointy. Whereas, if the mother were going to have a boy the stomach would be round. Another way, they try to determined what gender the baby would be is what the mother wants to eat. For example, if the mother wanted to eat a lot of sour food, then it is believe to be a boy. However, if the mother wanted to eat a lot of sweets, then it was lead to believe it was a girl. It's pretty funny that they believe that if the mother fell down during anytime while pregnant, then it was most likely a girl. I mean I fall going up or down the stairs like three times a week.

What they believed the mother should have not done while pregnant is wear a necklace. The reason being is that they thought the umbilical cord would wrap around the baby's neck. Something that I found funny was " In Portugal, it is believed that pregnant women shouldn't cross their legs, because this will cut off your baby's air supply and your baby will suffocate. Cutting your hair during pregnancy is also off-limits, because this will make your baby hairy" ( "Cultural Beliefs Around The World"). I found it really funny how the baby could come out hairy if the mother were to cross their legs. So, basically if the mother cross their legs too much the baby would turn out like chewbacca.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb