Finally, the Ecopista Path


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
September 25th 2019
Published: September 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today we woke up to a foggy morning and light rain and put our rain jackets at the top of our packs. Looking down into the valley, we could see dark clouds across the Minho River, on the Spanish side. Not promising.

However, as we did the 1.1 mile walk down the hill, the fog started to burn off. We reached a charming town square at the bottom of the hill and went into a pastelleria for coffee and a pastry. The owner was jolly and fun and when we asked if we could have our coffee in a pretty square across the street, he carried the tray to that more sympatic spot.

By the time we finished breakfast, the sun was fully out and we put on our packs, looking forward to the promised FLAT Ecopista path along the river. On the way out of town we passed a group of Finnish tourists who found us fascinating and asked loads of questions. We felt like famous Peregrinas?

We passed under a railroad bridge and there was the promised Ecopista!!! Flat and lovely along the banks of the Minho, it welcomed us and our hill-weary legs.

The path was spectacular and we were blessed with the fact that dark clouds stayed consistently ahead of us as we were bathed in sun.

Around 4 PM, we started the steep climb up into Valença. The entire city is surrounded by huge stone batiments and layers of terracing that would have made it confusing and dangerous for an attacking army. Unfortunately it made it confusing for us too. As the crow flies, google maps showed us just a short distance from our lodging, but to get there we’d need to climb a steep sheep path and find our way up a 20 ft. stone fortification.

We huffed and puffed up the sheep path but then we found ourselves in an M.C. Escher-like warren of conflicting paths, alleys and walls. Down the sheep path again and we continued on the road around Valença. Up another punishingly steep cobbled path and finally through the gate of the city. Hallelujah!

We quickly found our apartment for our rest day and were delighted with it: two levels, two bedrooms and spectacular miles-long views. Early dinner and early to bed, with no prescribed wake-up time. Life is good!

Data: 11.6 miles, 9 floors






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb