5 Reasons To Plan A Holiday In Portugal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
December 30th 2018
Published: December 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Portugal is the westernmost European country, and one of the most distinctly cultural and naturally beautiful places to visit on mainland Europe. Well known for its romantic Mediterranean towns, charming medieval castles, rich traditions of food and wine, and a friendly people, there are hundreds of reasons you should book a vacation through a tour company for Portugal. Here are the top five reasons you should plan your next trip around Portugal:



1. Cliffs of Madeira

This Portuguese archipelago is a paradise for people who love natural beauty and the outdoors. Even though the Madeira are four islands, holidaying here does not mean sunbathing on the beach. In fact, the islands contain the world’s very last laurel forests, and the beautiful and unique flora and fauna has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Trek through the forests right to the edge of the Madeira island for a bird’s-eye view of the cliffs and the green blue waters of the ocean. Other attractions of the Madeira islands include the distinct cuisine including the well-known Madeira wine that is made here and the warm waters of the northern island swarming with dolphins.



2. Beaches of Albufeira

This beautiful town, located on the southern Algarve coast of the country, has transformed from a quaint fishing community to one of the hottest beach holiday destinations in the country. The Praia de Marinha is the most popular beach in town, with towering cliffs interspersed with stretches of yellow sandy beach and a variety of bars, restaurants and nightclubs flourishing around it. There are also several other, quieter beaches in the city that offer beautiful views of the ocean.




3. Food in Algarve

This charming beach destination on the southern coast of the country offers a variety of rich experiences. Whether it is the beautiful golden beaches and cliffs looking out to the Atlantic, the distinct whitewashed houses with terracotta houses that are iconic of the region or the mouth-watering cuisine that revolves around the peculiar seafood of the region, Algarve is a delightful getaway for visitors. Amongst the most popular places to visit for tourists is the lighthouse on the cliff at Cape St. Vincent, offering beautiful views of the sunset into the ocean.




4. Castles of Sintra

A short drive from Lisbon, Sintra is located at the very foot of the Sintra mountains. A city of royal castles and palaces, Sintra is popular with tourists seeking luxurious retreats and fine Portuguese dining. The city centre is full of estates, villas and palaces built during the height of the Romanticism movement, and history and architecture lovers would be thrilled with the intricate and gorgeous architecture of Sintra. The luxury resorts are some of the best places to stay in Portugal, and are reason enough to visit Sintra.




5. Walled City of Lagos

This Mediterranean town on the Algarvian coast is most well known for its medieval castle and walled city, first constructed in the 15th century under King Sebastian I of Portugal. The medieval city centre is filled with beautiful churches and garrisons, besides the walls of the fort that have become a symbol for the city. Lagos is also popular with tourists for its beautiful cliffs and beaches, and hiking trails that are populated with eucalyptus, strawberry and acacia trees.



These places in Portugal offer a breadth of exhilarating experiences for backpackers and travellers. So if you are planning a European vacation, be sure to visit these wonderful places in Portugal for a taste of Iberian culture.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb