Oporto without the Port!!


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
July 29th 2018
Published: July 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post

24th July

Oporto





Located along the Douro river, Oporto lies within the estuary. Arcadia berthed a few miles down the coast in the harbour of Leixões, the Passenger Terminal is one of the finest examples of the architecture of the nineteen-sixties and it has recently been considered a part of the Architectural and Historical Heritage of the City of Matosinhos.





So Oporto City Centre is about 8km north and lies on the banks of the Douro.





Unfortunately with the traffic the shuttle takes about 40 minutes to the centre where the tourists are out in full.





The historic centre was designated a UNESCO world heritage site in 1996 for its continued preservation of its historical sites.





And you can see why, you are surrounded by churches, within a short walk we passed the Igreja dos Carmelitas, the Igreja do Cormo and the Torre dos Clerigos.

Not to mention the medical Hospital and the University buildings and museums.





The Oporto Se Cathedral was a bit too much of a walk today.





We are back here next year and it will be nice to explore the port area which as well as being a resort, mainly for locals has a small fishing fleet which seemed to be landing fish throughout the day.





There seemed to lots of small cafes and restaurants, so we will wait and see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb