Day '13 & 14 Madeira


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira
March 24th 2018
Published: March 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Madeira Island


Island of Madeira & Sea day

The endurance test today is on the island of Madeira and in particular the town of Funchal. The bus takes us on a winding road (they are all winding – not possible to make a straight one) through the mountains to villages and scenic lookouts. At the first lookout we were treated to Poncha a local drink made from rum, lemon and orange juice. Not likely to find this at the LCBO. The weather cooperated and was sunny and warm all day. We stopped in Camara des Lobos for some free time so we found a café beside the church (it is amazing how many churches and cathedrals are here). We had coffee and another pastel de nata. A warm custard tart with a flaky pastry and topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Back on the bus and off to the highest cliff in Europe and 2nd highest in the world. The lookout has a glass floor so you can look at the shoreline between your feet. Spectacular views… gives me the willies. Elke wandered out onto it.

Winding back thru the hills again for some free time in Funchal established in 1419. Quaint small streets and markets. Very clean and judging by the taxi cabs there is a lot of money here.

Next day is a Sea Day where we got 2nd place in a trivia contest with a couple that we met from Wales. Val & Derek.

Next is Gibraltar

Note - internet is so bad pictures are missing I will send the rest tomorrow from the airport.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 2.141s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 2.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb