Faro Santiago bike ride


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley
September 16th 2022
Published: September 16th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Chamusca to Ansião 81,81 km

A different day.
I had a great night's sleep that helped me pass tiredness and still some lingering jet lag.
We had an easy drive going to Tomar a town created inside the walls of the Convento de Cristo, constructed, according to Wikipedia, under the orders of Gualdim de Pais, the fourth Grand Master of the Knights Templar of Portugal in the late 12th century. A very worthwhile visit. Contrary to many old buildings (convents, churches and grand houses. etc. ) we have seen along the way, this convent, a world heritage site, is being well maintained and restored.

Stopping and visiting historic sites was not something I did when I walked the Camino. My main objective then was to get from A to B in the shortest possible time. I am glad that my travel companions have a different view of that.

From thereon we entered a different and more demanding territory. Enough to say that we climbed over more than 1,000 meters. Steep hills and declines and not always over well-paved roads. There were times that we have walk with our bikes to overcome impossible terrain. A peculiar experience to mention
View Convento Inn somewhat laterView Convento Inn somewhat laterView Convento Inn somewhat later

Only one car at a time can cross the bridge. Cyclists have to get behind a car and ride fast...
is the fact that we had descents on regular highways that took us over 50km/hour. Scary experiences as far as I am concerned. We don’t do that kind of stuff in Florida…
In total, we biked 82km in about 8.41 hours., including an hour of our visit to the convent in Tomar.
I am done for the day. We have found a very nice and clean hotel (sort of).
Tomorrow we await a similar day, this time with a visit to the historic city of Coimbra.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb