Faro Santigo bike ride


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley
September 15th 2022
Published: September 15th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Lisboa to Chumasca 108.50 km

A pilgrimage or a bike ride?
Today I had to focus on this question after seeing a lot of people walking with their backpacks along the way just as I did 10 years ago. We "flashed" them by on our fancy electric pedal-assisted bikes. Their effort seems much bigger than ours, although we started much further back and cover much more distance every day. I leave the answer to the question for the time being. I want to finish the trip and then, possibly come to a clearer vision on the subject.

Our day covered a distance of some 108km, which, for me, was plenty.

A good day as far as climate and road conditions are concerned, although biking these distances after a poor night's sleep results to be challenging.
As said the roads were decent, although sand roads with potholes and puddles are never far away.
The road took us along the river Tagus through multiple, seemingly, prosperous old agricultural villages. A joy to drive through these villages and the surrounding fields with different crops.
Last night we slept in a “hostel” type of environment, with shared bathrooms; today we did exactly the opposite. We are lodged in a very beautiful restored monastery with a pool and private bathrooms. Great food and company. A real treat.

An important thing to mention: as is "customary" for me on excursions like these, the physical exertion tends to close down my stomach and makes eating more complicated. Every time this happens, there is a moment that the stomach relents and eating becomes a normal affair again. Opening the stomach general happens by drinking something cold. Not this time, this time 2 whiskies with ice drunk on the side of the pool did the trick. I have to remember this and start drinking strong alcoholic beverages earlier....

Tomorrow we are leaving the flat land and entering the more hilly territory. I suppose we will do fewer km.
I will keep you posted.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb