Sintra and Cascais


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Sintra
March 17th 2007
Published: March 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Historic Centre of SintraHistoric Centre of SintraHistoric Centre of Sintra

A view of the town from Sintra Palace. Moorish castle can be seen at the top of the hill.
Today was spent day tripping out of Lisbon to the historic town of Sintra where the Portugese Royals spent their summers and the sea-side resort of Cascais with its expansive beaches and lovely quaint village ambiance. After 8 hours of walking up and down hills, we are starting to realize how hilly Portugal is. Will we be able to keep up the pace? Hopefully, Spain and Morocco are flatter!

Pena Palace was an amazing castle and the surrounding park was spectacular with tropical, mediterranean and desert foliage- the ramparts could be quite frightening at times, where we were often afraid of falling over the edge of the turrets and tumbling down the side of the mountain. Beautiful tiles and detailed carvings covered the walls and ceilings of the palace.

Dipping our toes in the Atlantic Ocean and walking in the warm sandy beaches of Cascais was a welcome break from the hectic pace we are touring at.

Dinner in Lisbon was memorable as we dined at a highly recommended restaurant called Solar de Presuntos, where we never expected to pet a lobster .... before it was boiled, but we did! It was a wonderful dining experience to end a wonderful day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Mukluk at Pena PalaceMukluk at Pena Palace
Mukluk at Pena Palace

Here is Mukluk feeling Beary Royal!


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb