Belem and Jack Johnson-concert


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
March 13th 2006
Published: March 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It was a very very hot day, and we decided to go out to Belem. We were recommended to take tram no. 15 out there - because the trams themselves are an attraction, and that the tram drives along the river Tague, very nice. We stood at Praça do Comercio waiting and waiting......until a local guy came up to us and told us that it would be a better idea to take the bus to Cais do Sodré, there were more buses for Belem from there. So we did, and it was a smart thing to do!

We arrived in Belem, and the first thing we did was to eat "pastel de nata" from Pasteis de Belem for brunch in the park! The cakes are the best in the world!! They are a bit warm, soft and tasty ....YUMM!!!
Then we crossed the road and headed for the tower of Belem. Of course, Siri had done some bad research, because the tower was closed.
We went back, and had a couple of beers in the sun to drown our sorrows.
The memory of the minus 10 degrees in Oslo were vague. :-)

On the tram (no.15) back to Lisbon
Pasteis de BelemPasteis de BelemPasteis de Belem

The best pastelaria in Lisbon
centre, we had a conversation with an old man. He could tell us stories of the city that no guidebook ever tells, and it was a really interesting converstaion. So if one of the local old-timers come up to you and talk, just sit back and enjoy what they have to say (this goes for most places around the world).

We stopped by a small shop selling different sorts of food, and we found "Pão de Queijo"-mix!!! Sort of cheese-breadrolls, brazilian. VERY good!

That same afternoon we went out to Parque de Nacões, because we had tickets for the Jack Johnson-concert at Pavilhão Atlantico which is a sports/concert venue nearby. First a couple of hours with shopping at Vasco da Gama shopping center (well.....we didn't buy anyting, we just ate at Só Peso), and then we walked over to Pavilhão Atlantico, and saw the show with 19000 other Jack Johnson-fans! The ticket said that cameras where prohibited, so we left the camera at the hotel. Apparently the "no-camera" rule wasn't so strict; everybody took photos inside. We got free t-shirts (made for tiny portugese girls and boys, not for tall Norwegians who had eaten to many of the
Pasteis de BelemPasteis de BelemPasteis de Belem

A box of "pastel de natas" in the park!
wonderful cakes the make in Lisbon).

So...Jack Johnson. A guy from Hawaii who used to be a professional surfer, but who quit, apparently because of some injury, so I've been told. He started making surf-films and music instead, and now he has become very popular throughout the world. Unfortunately he didn't put Norway on the list of his European tour, so he was a big reason why we went abroad this weekend, to see his show somewhere else. But now we're glad he didn't come to Norway, and that his UK concerts were sold out, because otherwise we might not have gone to Lisbon. Anyway, the show was fantastic, and the Portuguese audience were amazing, making Jack say "you're the best crowd so far on the tour. " His mellow, simple, acoustic folk-surf'ish tunes are great ones to sing along to, and so did everybody, all the time.

After the wonderful concert we went back to the hotel. Our heads were heavy, because of a lot of beer during the concert and because we realised this was the last night in Lisbon.





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb