USA-Cruise-Europe-Day 21


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
April 27th 2009
Published: June 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 21



Around 07:30 am we went by the Bugio Lighthouse on it's own small island. A few minutes later we could see the Bélem Tower. The Belém Tower was built in the early sixteenth century.







Next we saw the Monument to the Discoveries. A little bit further on we could see the 25th April Bridge (similar to the Golden Gate Bridge-which is the 3rd largest suspension bridge in the world).







Near the 25th April Bridge, in Almada, there is a replica of the Brazilian statue of Jesus. By 8:30 am the ship arrived at the Port of Lisbon.







Once off the Solstice, it was only a short walk to a Railway station. We took the train to Cais do Sodre & then purchased a daily public transport ticket which covers trains, trams, buses & even the Elevador de Santa.

We walked around the town passing through a big plaza & saw three 3 red sculptures.







We found a Tram stop & took a ride. At the stop for Santa Maria Maior de Lisboa (which is the cathedral of Lisbon), we hopped off the tram went inside the cathedral.







After the cathedral, we walked up the hill to Castle St. George. The Castle was built on the highest spot in town in 1147.
General admission to the castle costs 5 Euro's.







A short walk through the grounds brings you to some spectacular views of of the city of Lisbon, Tagus River & Almada.







There are flags flying from the Castle Towers. To go inside the castle, you need to cross a bridge over a moat (however, there is no water in the moat, only grass!).







Inside the Castle, we climbed up a steep set of stairs that led to the castle walls.







At the castle inside the Tower of Ulysses, is a Periscope (an optical system invented by Leonard da Vinci in the 16th century).
The periscope is the only one in Portugal & gives a 360º live view of Lisbon. The operator moves the periscope uses a series of ropes.
It was really amazing seeing the sights of the city projected on the periscope dish, watching moving objects like a plane, cars etc.

Aftwerwards, we ate our lunch in a courtyard. There was a noisy Peacock on top of a nearby building.







After lunch we walked down the hill from the Castle & then rode a Tram to the end of the line, where there was a big church.







We took the Tram back to the main shopping area. We then walked in the shopping plaza. Turning a corner, we could see the Elevador de Santa. The Elevator was built in 1902; originally powered by steam, it was converted to electrical operation in 1907.








There are two elevator booths. Each booth has a wooden interior and accommodates 24 people. Once out at the top there is a viewing area which offers views of Castle St. George, the Rossio Square and the Baixa neighbourhood. The bridge from the Elevator leads to the Carmo Square.







We walked past the Ruins of Carmo's Convent to Carmo square & saw a tank on display. After that we went back down the Elevator.







Walked back through the Shopping Plaza, through a high Archway & then took the train back to the Port.







Advertisement



Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb