USA-Cruise-Europe-Day 19


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Azores » São Miguel
April 25th 2009
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 19



By 7:45 am, we were getting close to Ponta Delgada on the largest island of the Azores-Sao Miguel. We were greeted by a pilot boat. There was another Celebrity brand boat already docked in port-the Constellation.







We were off the boat before 10 am. We walked off the boat & walked along the dock to the city which was just 10 minutes walk. We could see a Marina & swimming area opposite the main dock.







Went past the City Gates & Building with a Clock Tower, also passing the Immigrants Statues.







We decided to do a short tour of the city. Took a Mini-Train which cost Euro 4.50 for each person.We did the 10:30 am Historical tour.
It took us around the city-some of the streets were very narrow. Our Boat was visible from many places in the city.







After the tour, we walked further down the road from the Bus Stop to Sao Braz Fort. The fort has quite high walls & Statues built into the front wall & has a pool with a fountain. We walked around the fort to some steps to a walkway where you had good view of the port.







After the fort, we walked to the Sao Sebastio Church & went inside to have a look.







After the church we walked through a plaza with bare trees & lots of pigeons. We continued on through quite narrow streets.







We stopped outside the Theatre to have some snacks & then continued on till we reached the local markets. We bought a few souvenirs in the markets (prices were reasonable).







After the market we headed back toward the ship, passing the Sao Pedro Church. Near the dock, there are some observation steps to view ships in port.







When we left port we were given a "Royal Send-off" by a marching band.







The next day will be a full day at Sea.









Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb