USA-Cruise-Europe-Day 22


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Cádiz
April 28th 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 22



Cadiz was founded about 1,100 years B.C., which makes it not only the oldest city in Europe, but also the oldest in the western world.
On the way to the Port, we passed by San Sebastian Castle.







We were not able to disembark until 10 am. Beside the port was a City Sightseeing Hop On / Hop Off bus waiting. We purchased our tickets for Euro 10.99 each. This sightseeing company operates in 5 continents (including Australia) - if you keep your ticket, you will get a 10%!d(MISSING)iscount off your next purchase.







The bus left about 10:30 am. We decided to do a full round trip to get ideas of what to see in Cadiz. The trip basically follows the coast, as Cadiz is almost entirely surrounded by water. There are 12 sightseeing stops. The tour went around areas near the port, then it went past Cadiz's main beach, Playa de la Victoria.







While riding the open top bus, some of our party decided they weren't dressed warmly enough, so when we reached our original bus stop, they went back onboard to change into warmer clothes.

We walked over to the Plaza de Espana & looked at the Monument to the Cadiz Constituion. Then as we were walking through some narrow streets, Ruby & me were separated from the rest of our group (while looking at the Bay of Cadiz) & we did not meet up again until the afternoon.







We walked through some narrow streets, where the buildings were so close, I reckon that neighbours across the street could just about hold hands. Went past the San Francisco Plaza, more narrow streets & plaza's & then headed for Cathedral.







We reached Cathedral just before 1 pm. Had a quick look just inside, but to go further through the church you had to pay a fee, so we decided to keep on walking.







At the eastern end of the Plaza de la Cathedral there was Obispocad Statue. At the northern end, we saw the Santaigo Church.







After that we headed over to the waterfront which faces the Atlantic Ocean. We walked along Campso del Sur, then through some other streets until we reached Puerta de Tierra Walls.

The Puerta de Tierra Walls is a symbol of the city of Cádiz and the remains of the ancient city wall, built by the architect Torcuato Cayón in the 18th century. Puerta de Tierra Turret, built at the end of 1850, was designed as tower number 57 of the "Optical telegraph line of Andalusia", for use as a message-emitter between the Ministry of Governance in the capital of Spain and Cádiz.







We walked around the perimeter of the Puerta de Tierra Walls & the Tower, then walked back to bus stop near Cathedral.







Took the bus to Caleta Beach.On the beach there were some buildings built right out onto the sand. At one end of the beach you could see Santa Catalina Castle. The castle was built at the end of the 16th century.







We walked over the sand to a walkway that led to the San Sebastian Castle. This castle was was built in 1706 as a fort to defend the northern side of the city. The Castle was closed so we walked back to the bus stop.







We rode the bus & stopped to look at Genoves Park. Met the rest of our group walking along the road near the bus stop (we decided to stay separated as they were going to look at places we had already seen). We briefly inspected the Hotel Parador de Cádiz beside the park. It was quite a posh hotel by the bay & has a waterfront swimming pool. When we entered the park we saw heaps of pigeons & their houses.







Next we saw a series of waterfalls. Under the waterfalls is a cave that you can walk through.







Later on we saw some amazing trees cut into shapes. We also a cat resting near some cactus.







After the Park we headed back to the ship via some a large plaza & sme shops.









Advertisement



Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb