3 September 2019: Tea Party At The Plot, Flight With Wanderers, And The Arrival At Lisbon.


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
September 3rd 2019
Published: September 3rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Komorski’s Pre WWII Apartment BlockKomorski’s Pre WWII Apartment BlockKomorski’s Pre WWII Apartment Block

While repainted, the colour scheme is original. A pretty cool building
Currently high in the sky above Spain, the next part of our trip is about to start.

Mission - Marry The Couple And Make Natalia A Sherry - was a success and she thinks she might have a movie career now with her new exotic name. Well, it’s exotic if you pronounce it the way it sounds in Polish.

This morning I was forced out of bed by the incessant beeping of my phone, with all the early bird travellers communicating and making announcements via our whatsapp group, with no consideration for those of us who could sleep in; at 6am I don’t care where you are or if the train is late.

Tim and Natalia are registering their marriage this morning and then meeting us for breakfast at Charlottes, a popular cafe in the old Jewish Quarter. We had the crunchy granola and two coffees and the day suddenly seemed brighter. Natalia informed us that she is now a Sherry by name as well, so welcome to Team Sherry, Natalia ; we’ve got your back.

Back at Natalia’s parents house, we packed up a pile of cakes, coffee, milk and sugar, and walked the short distance
Lisbon Harbour Lisbon Harbour Lisbon Harbour

From our room.
to their garden plot for a mini garden party. Andzej couldn’t make it as he had to work. Well, someone has to I suppose. We laid out the chairs, set up the hammock, and lazed around for a while under the cool trees, talking nonsense and killing time until it’s Uber to the airport time.

At the car we checked we had everything, said our last goodbyes, and climbed in with a good driver who seemed to have an idea where he was going.

At the airport, check in life was inefficient and slow. A tour group of oldies - some younger than me - called Avocado Tours were the problem. They were all over the place, not prepared to check in; it was like herding cats.

Eventually we were through the gates and this big butch looking military woman was frisking anyone who looked a bit suspect, even if the alarm didn’t sound out. Sue was frisked...naturally. Or unnaturally, depending on your take on it. I am a cleanskin.

The flight seemed short and we were separated due to seating arrangements. I sat next to Eric, an American medic working for the State Department. I
follow politics a bit obsessively, but I’m only going on what I read from papers that I think are honest and impartial; in other words Rupert doesn’t get my money. But Eric has lived experience. He’s worked in Sri Lanka , Afghanistan, and Africa and unfortunately could confirm my view of the current administration presiding over America. As an aid worker, he is exposed to the cuts and policies detrimental to the standing of America on the world stage. Eric is afraid for America and that’s enough said. He currently is stationed near the Ukraine and travels to Europe to wind down.

The Avocado Crew just wandered around the plane chatting for the entire flight, and even 10 minutes from landing, ignored the Captains request to sit down, until told to by cabin staff. It was just one big social occasion. A women in a calico dress talking to the lady opposite me would lurch forward with laughter as she saw fit, driving her bum into my personal space, obscuring my view of my book. It was like a luna eclipse. Everything went dark and only a white ring of calico remained. The pun was intentional.

As soon as we landed, proud triumphant military music blasted through the PA system to herald in our successful flight, and everyone applauded. I thought landing safety was a condition of the contract I had with the airline; its not a bonus, its a strong expectation.

The view as we swung out over the ocean at Lisbon, to approach our landing was as I had imagined. The dominant colour was a pale cream against the light blue sea, and the church peaks of the various religions stood out on the hillside near Alfama, our home for the next 4 days.

Once we landed it was all straight forward, and you joined a long official taxi queue before being directed to a taxi bay to board a cab. It helps cut out the dodgy guys lingering in the shadows with a smoke drooping from their lips - like Lee Van Cleef in the westerns with Clint Eastwood - who scoop up victims and rip them off at their rides end.. Our driver was old and a little confused. At one stage, I predicted we would continue left, but we just cut off three busy lanes in order to turn right. I
Mmmmmm...Mmmmmm...Mmmmmm...

If i need more power i will just direct wire it to the power wires.
suppose it saved us money.

As we wound back and forwards, always climbing, through these narrow ancient cobbled streets, I wondered how we could walk up and down this for 4 days. Our hostess was waiting, and halfway up the narrow timber stairs to our loft, she offered to carry a case. I resisted this generous offer but she was relentless. At the top - I will count these stairs and report back tomorrow - breathless, I thanked her for lightening my load. We are so close to the sun, we are in danger of melting on a hot day up here.

The hostess recommended a local restaurant 2 doors up for dinner so we descended the stairs in the dark, not sure of what was a light and what was a doorbell in the stairwell. It’s a small family run business with Manuel from Basil Fawlty as a proprietor. It was great. The service was slow, the food, mainly fresh available seafood, was amazing, so we’ll be back. 20 euros for two with drinks is hard to go past. I think most people would though, as it’s very basic and I don’t think one piece of crockery or cutlery matched another. But if it’s favoured by the locals, it’s got to be good.

Tomorrow we’ll start earlyish and set up an easy day to begin with.

See you tomorrow

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb